Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #21 
vaygirl

Phillip, I think the problem lies in recommending people do it that way. You don't know their water quality. My water smells like a pool. A fish would die in it without condtioner/dechlorinator. So, taking your advice would end in death in my house. But honestly we take that chance anytime we advise something to someone without knowing everything.

THAT'S why I rely on test kits, the health of my fish, and common sense to tell me what's going on. All the staring in the world won't tell me when my tap water has had a large ph shift and when I should be careful because of it.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #22 
Neil D

If it's a problem with "no one talks to you", this isn't the way to go about people 'liking' you. Friend people PM them. We'd be more than happy to chat with you. Go ahead post, but in a more friendly manner.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #23 
1fish2fish

I'll never for the life of me understand why people get a bee in their bonnet about info that conflicts with their beliefs when they come to a PUBLIC INTERNET FORUM.

I also don't understand why anyone would brag about keeping their fish in bare bones conditions. Sure the fish may live for x amount of years but shouldn't quality of life be whats important? Especially if this is your pet! I think some people see fish as plants...that is to say less alive than other organisms... if I water it a little and it stays alive I've done a good job when in actuality a good hobbyist not only wants to see the organism live but THRIVE.

I'm not saying that every fish must have a 5 gallon cycled planted tank but no one can deny the basics of water chemistry. No one can sit here and tell me that a fish swimming around in 5ppm of ammonia is a happy and healthy fish. Yeah it may live... but at what cost? I have a theory that one of the reasons you see so many people saying my fish lived x amount of years in a kiddie cup from mcdonadls that never had a water change is because after the ammonia reaches a certain point many of the disease causing agents can't survive in that environment... the fish seem to adapt some how.. doesn't make it right.

There's all kinds of ways of keeping fish. However, Before you go spouting your methods maybe stop and think about the new person in the hobby. How is it going to look when someone says they keep small tanks and never do water changes? Next thing you know new member is crying that flipper has fin rot or dropsy or SBD because that set up DOES NOT work for them.

The socially accepted methods for keeping fish (the ones you see commonly in care guides etc) should be the ones advised because they are the ones most likely to work over a broad range of situations. It is then up to the individual hobbyist to tweak and establish his or her own unique method from there.

One last point. Just because you've seen or heard of a person doing x and y and having their fish survive so many years doesn't mean it was the right thing to do. Goldfish are the prime example because so many people stick them in bowls and think its A OK when in reality if they knew the damage they were doing to that fish's internal organs they would probably be singing a different tune.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #24 
Neil D

^+1

That was intense....
Old 07-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #25 
PhilipPhish

again... terribley sorry bout all this. its not worth talkin bout anymore.... so just drop it like rain and forget it.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #26 
1fish2fish

You don't have to apologize. In a way I agree with what you said. But maybe next time think about how the membership will react to what you're saying and maybe go a little more of a diplomatic route instead of coming across as "this is right and all of you are wrong". Also think about the possible ramifications of someone thinking that just because something works for you that it will also work for them.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #27 
PhilipPhish

thanks 1fish2fish! : ]
Old 07-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #28 
dramaqueen
Banned

Closing thread.
Closed Thread