Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2011, 06:36 PM   #1 
CoverMeInClay

Good or bad idea?

I am thinking of doing a sorority tank. Initally I was going to go with a 10 gallon and 5 females, but I found a 14 gallon tank I was pondering over instead.
Anyway, my question is if it would be a good or bad idea to start a sorority along with some other fish such as mollies, tetras, or platies. I'm assuming if I want to do that I should bump up the scale even more to a 20 gallon +. Is that correct? I have not decided on any of this yet and wanted some input. This will be my first sorority, so i don't know if by adding other fish I would be bitting off mroe then i could chew or not. i have read a good deal about how to deal with just the girls, but hadn't come accross much info in regards to other tank mates except in large tanks such as 55 gallons.
Any advise you may have would be helpful. Thank you!
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

I think that girls and corys tend to do well. Not sure about any of the others. I would think that you would have to go bigger though. For your first sorority I would go with the biggest you can and just do them or add whatever you can normally put in with males and leave it at that.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #3 
Shimizoki

With 5 bettas in a 10 gallon you wouldn't have any room for other fish, you would barely have room for the bettas themselves. In a 14 I believe you could hold 5 females happily, however the other fish you mentioned are schooling fish and need a fair amount of space. I don't think you could add them happily.

In a 20 gal you could get away with 5 bettas, half a dozen platys or Tetras. I haven't read much into mollies and bettas in the same tank. I think I read somewhere you should have about 1" of fish per gallon of water. That's the full grown size.

5 female bettas of 3" = 15"
6 tetras OR Platys of 1" = 6"
15" + 6" = 21"
20 gallon tank is needed.

I have not done much as community tanks go as I am working on my first one, nor do I know how densely a sorority likes to be packed. All I can provide is what I have read in other cases.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #4 
mernincrazy8525

i had betta females and mollies in the same tank but the females were victorious! tetras are finb nippers and will bother your females. platys are pretty much the same as mollies. corys are fine though.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #5 
CoverMeInClay

Thanks

Thanks for the advise. I'm still pondering the whole thing. I have one male betta who is pretty new, and just watching him made me think having more would be fun. When I got him I was "just looking". He was the only guy that came over to see what was going on, and then I knew he had picked me and I couldn't just leave him there. Thanks again!
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #6 
mernincrazy8525

yur welcome!
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote