Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #1 
PhilipPhish

Goldfish

I really want to get a gold fish, bit I don't know if they even work with betta fish...

If not, I have a fish bowl...

I just don't know!

Thanks!

~Miss Hill and the Boys
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #2 
BetterBetta

Well, bettas are tropical and warm-water fish, but goldfish are cold-water fish... so no:/ If I were you, just use the fish bowl(:
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #3 
PhilipPhish

Alright, thanks! : )
Old 07-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #4 
ds2009

The bowl might not be enough. I think goldfish need a lot of space since they can get pretty big, also you would probably want a filter since they can be very messy and foul up their water quick :o
ds2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #5 
PhilipPhish

I was thinking about that...my sister wants a koi and she just wants to put it in a bowl too...I might get some guppies or a few tetra and the can live in Philips tank after Christmas...probably for me birthday.

I did a little research on goldfish and got some info, so now I'll be putting 2 in a 20 gallon tank when I get one, as well as one or 2 other fish.

can't they live in ponds?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #6 
TheBlueBettaFish

No.

Because Goldfish have long flowing fins and are brightly colored. 2 problems!! Betta's love to nip at fins (especially long flowing ones). And color=competition for Betta's. So the Betta would fish the Goldfish. Eep!! So thats a no no.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #7 
PhilipPhish

yeah...I noticed...

I'm going to buy a second 10 gallon and get a pretty VT goldfish when I have the money...my moms going to be M-A-D mad...I'm turning my room into a fish house...
I'm going to have to get a smaller bed and 86 my TV...maybe...
Me mom is OK with fish, just not an excessive amount. We have 3 in a 75 gallon, but the light blew out...

ATM I have 1 Oscar, 2 of those weird black sucker fish, and 2 Betta's...
Soon to be:
1 Oscar, 2 black fish, 1 goldfish, 3 male Betta's, 4 female Betta's, and a possible Cobalt Discus...
Old 07-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #8 
Pitluvs

Ya, Goldfish need huge tanks. I got my 29gal because someone had to upgrade for his TWO goldfish.

Nothing breaks my heart more than people keeping fish in tanks that are too small :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #9 
PhilipPhish

I'm just going to keep one. I really like them, their very pretty.

My sister wants a koi and she wants to keep it in a FISH BOWL!

I says, I says, No, You keep Betta fish in fish bowl, but you not keep KOI FSH in fish bowl...

I'm very excited though, I love goldfish, but I've never owned one.
My papa has a tank with one in it, but its a spaz! I'll have to take pictures and videos of it...hes crazy!
Old 07-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #10 
Luimeril

goldfish get sick at the temps bettas need. and, they're VERY messy fish. the one i had as a kid was ALWAYS pooping. x: one fancy goldfish needs 20 gallons to itself. they're social fish, though, and do better with another goldfish, and each extra goldfish needs an added 10 gallons, so for two, you'd need a 30 gallon tank. common goldfish need MUCH bigger tanks, and really do best in ponds. Koi should NEVER be kept in bowls. they get HUGE and are messier than goldfish, i've heard. they're pond-only in my book.

never keep a goldfish in a bowl. you'll condemn it to a short, horrid life. you can't provide ANY of it's needs in a bowl. they need filtration, and room to grow. they can live 20+ years if taken care of properly, and the common goldy i had as a kid lived 13 of that with a pleco(the weird sucker fish you spoke of). he would have lived longer, if my dad hadn't had the habit of tossing whatever small fish he caught while fishing, into my tank. :/
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote