Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #1 
omgitslph

Lando Has a New Nose Ring (Worms?)

Just found this in my fish's nose. I've seen it around the forums before. Any idea how to treat it? I figure it's a worm and I've suspected my fish has had worms for awhile. Trying to get Anti-Parasite pellets but I guess Petsmart doesn't carry them anymore. :(

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gal hospital
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? no

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? top fin pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day 2 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every single day though the last 5 days my dad took care of him and it was like every other day at best. was totally clean when i got home though.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? epsom salt for bloating

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: normal
Nitrite: normal
Nitrate: normal
pH: normal
Hardness: normal
Alkalinity: normal

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? no
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? nothing yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes
How old is your fish (approximately)? year
omgitslph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Looks like Lando has anchor worms. Try Tetra Parasite Guard.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...dn=Medications
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:36 AM   #3 
omgitslph

ugh :(

I'll have to get stuff after work then and of course this is only measured in a 10 gallon tank. > I'll hopefully get some Jungle anti-parasite pellets today too.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Poor Lando. He's under a health siege right now.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:37 PM   #5 
omgitslph

Returned my 20 gallon long and bought a new 10 gallon set up (came with everything and I'm poor xD). I added salt without thinking that he won't be getting 100% water changes every single day. He seemed fine when he didn't get them last week so is it safe to leave it in while I do the treatment or should I just change it tomorrow before doing treatment? -__-
Old 07-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #6 
DarkMoon17

Poor guy... Tetra Parasite Guard doesn't really work... It isn't worth your money IMO. Jungle's Parasite Clear Fizz tablets are much much better (sold @ Walmart only). API General Cure is another really good med (sold @ Petsmart). It's probably your best choice. It is an external infection so Jungle's Anti-Parasite pellets will not work... Medications taken orally treat internal infections. Medications used in the water treat external infections.

You can also treat with Aquarium Salt but if he is having bloating issues then Aq.Salt might agitate them.

Good luck and keep us posted!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:07 PM   #7 
omgitslph

He had severe SBD last week so I've had him in epsom salt to keep him normal. He's always been bloaty since I bought him so I'm getting the pellets to make sure there is nothing in him. This worm is just a new fun thing that popped up while my dad was watching my fish. Like I said he's in epsom salt at the moment so idk if that will affect the treatment or not. I'll be picking up the Jungle tabs or General Cure tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #8 
DarkMoon17

Ah, I remember that, poor boy. So many problems!
Epsom salt won't affect treatment, you just can't really use Aquarium Salt. No biggy. If you use API General Cure or Jungle's Parasite Clear fizz tabs then don't use the medicated pellets at the same time. You don't want to overdose him on metronidazole... Just use General Cure or Parasite Clear since they are somewhat affective against internal parasites as well. Parasite Clear might be better than General Cure at fighting internal parasites and external parasites at the same time.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #9 
omgitslph

Yes, he's quite the dramatic fish as my boyfriend says. Thank you for that info! I would've probably used both if it wasn't for you. I think he might have internal parasites as well since there are white stringy things in the water as of today that I just noticed right now (and I just cleaned it yesterday) Hopefully my walmart has this stuff since our pet center is very lacking. :(
Old 07-13-2011, 11:49 PM   #10 
DarkMoon17

I'm not sure if that would have been an overdose, but they have the same ingredients so it's better safe than sorry! Are white stringy things attached to the glass or laying around at the bottom?