Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2011, 01:50 AM   #1 
Persica

New Male Betta, Persica. Help?

Well, I just got my new little boy today, Persica, after the scientific word for peach as he is a peach color. My main reason for getting a betta was to have a pal I could take along to my dorm in a few months, but now I believe I've been drawn into a lifetime hobby. :) I've had guppies and one betta before this, named Triton. Poor little guy. I was young and clueless as to how a betta should be properly cared for. But now, with Persica, I hope to be the best betta mommy a betta can have! I have him in a 5 gallon tank with a live plant and some bulbs that will grow into live plants. He also has a castle, though the hiding spot inside may be too small for him. Tomorrow I will be adding a floating betta log which will provide a good hiding spot. The filter that came with Persica's tank isn't a gentle enough flow for him, so I'm going out to buy a sponge filter tomorrow. I also don't want him to hurt his fins.

After all that information which you probably didn't care about... I have some questions. First of all, Persica seems a little shy. When I come close to the tank, he hides in the back of the tank or behind his castle. Will this get better as he gets used to me? Also, he hasn't eaten anything on his first day here. I've tried giving him some freeze dried blood worms and some tropical flakes. I'm hoping that he's just getting used to his new environment. It's certainly a change from the tiny jar at the pet store. Although, I feel a little guilty walking into my room and seeing him in his aquarium, like I'm keeping a prisoner. Can anyone give me reassurance that he isn't unhappy? I hate to see critters alone, and even though he wants to be alone, it still just bothers me a little. And for my last question, could you look at my picture of him and tell me what his coloring is called in technical betta terms? I'm thinking he's a yellow, but I'm not sure.
Name:  IMG_1007.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  51.0 KB
Persica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:07 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

Hey there! :DDDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persica View Post
But now, with Persica, I hope to be the best betta mommy a betta can have! I have him in a 5 gallon tank with a live plant and some bulbs (keep an eye on these! Many times, they begin to mold and get nasty and dont grow. Try growing them in a tupperware container instead!) that will grow into live plants. He also has a castle, though the hiding spot inside may be too small for him.

If you have that suspicion, you're probably right. Remove it or return it if you think its too small. They shove themselves into the worst places...usually with bad results :(

College kids untiiiieee~~

When I come close to the tank, he hides in the back of the tank or behind his castle. Will this get better as he gets used to me?

Yes, it probably will. In his first few weeks, keep his tank in a quiet place, with as little foot traffic as possible, aside from your own. Stay near the tank, but dont tap on it or anything. Offer food, do water changes and... exist! He'll warm up to you just by seeing you and learning that you= food :P

I'm hoping that he's just getting used to his new environment.

Fish usually dont eat their first day or even first week home. Its a new place, a big place(! <3) and that means a lot of stress. Offer food every day and allow him to see it, smell it and if he doesnt eat it before it sinks or before 5 minutes, remove the food to keep the water unfouled. Offer twice a day. They can go upwards of 10-20 days without food, so dont worry about a few days :D

Can anyone give me reassurance that he isn't unhappy?

He's happy. He's in a place that's gonna give him food when he needs and wants it, a warm and most importantly CLEAN place to live, free of ammonia to hurt his gills and eyes... He's a happy kid. :) Give him time to settle in, and youll be excited to see his true personality. My fish came to me shy, and now ones a total jerk (oh, meanfish!) and one loves me. (He comes to my fingers and will lay in my hand, its love I tell you! :D)

I hate to see critters alone, and even though he wants to be alone, it still just bothers me a little.

Bettas dont like or need friends, they really dont. What they like, though, is to eat too much (pigs!), to swim around and rest, and to have nice, soft plants to relax in. Nothing should be added to a tank of 5 gallons. Another betta can be added with a divider, but get to know this* betta first. I like my 5 gallons undivided :) You can also add shrimp or 1 snail to it, but again, wait for a while.

And for my last question, could you look at my picture of him and tell me what his coloring is called in technical betta terms? I'm thinking he's a yellow, but I'm not sure.
Attachment 31650
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:09 AM   #3 
PewPewPew

Oh, and hes a veiltail multicolor :)

He may marble (change color) over time. Sometimes, marble bettas change drastically.

He will also probably color up really pretty now that hes in a bigger space with clean water.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:19 AM   #4 
Persica

Thank you SO much for your reply. You were incredibly helpful and answered literally every single one of my questions. :) It's really nice when people take the time to do that. It really means a lot!

I have a few more questions! First of all, I need to do fish-in cycling. Now, how do I go about doing this? Also, how do I make sure his gravel stays clean? Other than that, are there any nice betta decorations you can recommend that would provide some extra entertainment for my beautiful boy?

Edit: Also, thank you so much for your reassurance that a betta can be kept happily. I really needed it. :)
Old 07-14-2011, 02:50 AM   #5 
PewPewPew

Thank you SO much for your reply. You were incredibly helpful and answered literally every single one of my questions. :) It's really nice when people take the time to do that. It really means a lot!

Natta prraahbblem! I like answering these types of posts. I get a lot of private messages like these, so its refreshing to reply in the forum for a change :B

I have a few more questions! First of all, I need to do fish-in cycling. Now, how do I go about doing this?

Its not too hard. Ill send you a pm about it that I send to members with questions about fish-in cycling. (If you want) Ive cycled my tanks...wait for it... 16 times in less than a year. Dorm life. Geez, too much movin' around! I explain it the way I wish I could find it on the internet...easily!

Also, how do I make sure his gravel stays clean?

Ooooh, a siphon or gravel vacuum will do that for you. Theyre cheap and can be found at Petsmart/co's for about $5. Get abucket of at least 2 gallons to help with water changes and hold the siphoned water. I have a few links in the pm to siphons :)

Other than that, are there any nice betta decorations you can recommend that would provide some extra entertainment for my beautiful boy?

Why yes I do! I can suggest lots- it depends on what you like in a tank. I prefer my tanks natural looking, I use only live plants. Its a bit of work, but I like it :B I had silk before and really liked these kinds (I bought online):

http://www.petco.com/product/109235/PETCO-Silk-Colorta-Midground-Aquarium-Plant.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductListTopRated_Fish_4-_-PETCO%20Silk%20Colorta%20Midground%20Aquarium%20Pl ant-109235

http://www.petco.com/product/109029/PETCO-Pond-Vine-Betta-Plant.aspx

These integrate into a tank with live plants really well, they look natural!:
http://www.petco.com/product/109221/PETCO-Silk-Arrowhead-Background-Aquarium-Plant.aspx

http://www.petco.com/product/109231/PETCO-Silk-Ciliata-Midground-Aquarium-Plant.aspx

http://www.petco.com/product/111885/PETCO-Silk-Lotus-Foreground-Aquarium-Plant.aspx

These are plastic, but safe :) :

http://www.petco.com/product/113439/PETCO-Green-Hairgrass-Plastic-Aquarium-Plant.aspx

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752303

(the green one)
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3859661

I havent used these, but if you find them in person and the holes are larger than a quarter, try them out:
http://www.petco.com/product/112310/RockGarden-Sculpted-Wonderstone.aspx

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4039076

Wood should be presoaked in hot water for a few days beforehand :) :
http://www.petco.com/product/102556/Zoo-Med-Aquatic-Natural-Mopani-Wood.aspx

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11147123

These are so cooooolll :D
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4368172

Petsmart has new, really cool greek themed decorations that Ive been peeking at. Lots of members have that theme or the asian inspired theme :)

One thing I recommend though, is being wary of the plants petsmart sells.

Mondo grass, ribbon plants, bamboo, kyoto plants, scarlet temple, pecock fern, tropical fern aqua (but NOT Java fern/tropical fern), umbrella plants, and a few that Im forgetting are NOT AQUATIC AND WILL DIE D:< Stupid petsmart...

Plants they sell that will* live, though, include:
Anubias, java fern, java moss, "tropical fern", amazon sword, wisteria, cabomba (not recommended), hornwort (messy!), anacharis, vallisnaria, moneywort, and bacopa are fine :D

This is a quick thread about easy plants:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=67565

Edit: Also, thank you so much for your reassurance that a betta can be kept happily. I really needed it.

No problem. I wonder myself, sometimes. But then I remember what poor Alle's life wouldve been if I didnt get him, he;d still be rotting away in a cup or in a tiny bowl with another person. I know I love him and his brother Baller, and I think they know it, too.

:) If you ever have questions, no matter what they are, we're here for you!

Sorry for so many links, btw :P

Last edited by PewPewPew; 07-14-2011 at 02:52 AM. Reason: dsjfhsdjf removed the quote, too hard to read in italics!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:00 AM   #6 
Persica

Yes, that would be wonderful if you could send me that PM! Also, could you explain what exactly cycling does? Also, how often do I need to do water changes in a 5 gallon? And how do I do it without stressing out Persica? I'm a little confused about cycling and water changes and what exactly the purpose of each is. And when I do water changes, how do I keep the ammonia, temperature, etc right? And how often should I condition the water? I'm sorry, I'm so full of questions! I'm a little overwhelmed, to be honest. I'll feel awful if I do wrong by Persica.

Thank you for all those links! I'll check them out. :) I really want to fill Persica's tank with many more hiding spaces.

And I'm taking out his little castle in just a few minutes.. Now that I've taken a second to think about it, the openings aren't big enough and my airheaded self didn't even consider that he might snag his fins. Poor Persica! He'll have to bare with me!

And thanks again for all your help. :)

Edit: Another question. Does gravel benefit/make the betta happy in any way or should I just ditch it to make life easier?

Last edited by Persica; 07-14-2011 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:20 AM   #7 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persica View Post
Yes, that would be wonderful if you could send me that PM! Also, could you explain what exactly cycling does?

In very short, when you keep your filter always on, bacteria begins to grow on it from the air. This bacteria begins to eat ammonia, which is in your tank from fish poop and food. After a time of eating ammonia, it will convert that waste into an equally harmful thing called nitrIte (note the I). After more time, it turns it into a thing called nitrAte, which is harmful at much higher levels, which means you dont have to change the water as much. Thats great in bigger tanks with lots of water! You check the water using a kit and change the water to safe levels after reading the results of the kit. :)

Also, how often do I need to do water changes in a 5 gallon?

If you have a filter, you do not need a 100% change in the tank. In order to cycle,you need a filter.
If you dont plant to cycle, do one 50% change a week (and siphon the bottom when needed in the week) and once a month, do a full, 100% change.
If cycling, i'll explain in the PM :D

And how do I do it without stressing out Persica? I'm a little confused about cycling and water changes and what exactly the purpose of each is. And when I do water changes, how do I keep the ammonia, temperature, etc right?

Read this for me:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=64078

Specifically, read the part about when you get the fish home (Ctrl+F type in "setting up")

Basically, unless the change is very small, remove the betta (explained how in the post) and when its done, bob the betta (explained) to get him used to it :)

And how often should I condition the water?

Condition the water every time new water is used, before it is added back into the tank. (Ex. Fill up a CLEAN, UNUSED NEW bucket of water. Put the conditioner in that water. THEN put the water into the tank!)

I'm sorry, I'm so full of questions! I'm a little overwhelmed, to be honest. I'll feel awful if I do wrong by Persica.

Oh dont be silly :P And hey, we all get overwhelmed. I do, constantly.
I recently had my two guys and my bf's two in my house at once, one poor fellow got really upset and ate his own fins right to his butt (ohgeez..), the other found he liked to jump (ah!) and my two guys decided, hey, lets not stop flaring at eachother, ever!
*eye roll* Theyre all better, but it was a bit much.
Those cute faces make it worthwhile, though!!

Thank you for all those links! I'll check them out. :) I really want to fill Persica's tank with many more hiding spaces.

And I'm taking out his little castle in just a few minutes.. Now that I've taken a second to think about it, the openings aren't big enough and my airheaded self didn't even consider that he might snag his fins. Poor Persica! He'll have to bare with me!

Meh! Its hard to think of that stuff. Its more of a matter of, can he get stuck in there? If they get stuck, they might drown D; Bagh!
If you like the castle, but dont want him in that hole, consider buying an anubias plant from the store and shoving into the hole. They dont like living buried, and have a fat bunch of roots and a rhizome (stem) perfect for stuff like that!

And thanks again for all your help. :)

Edit: Another question. Does gravel benefit/make the betta happy in any way or should I just ditch it to make life easier?
It helps you cycle (places for bacteria to grow), looks nice, and helps anchor down plants (fake and real). I like using it. In a 5 gallon, you're not gonna be doing frequent 100% water changes like you would in a small tank, so having it bare isnt really as needed.

I like using a natural gravel- "painted" gravels like ones from walmart, etc that are bright colored and stuff (even the black kind) tend to leech color, which is annoying! Top fin makes natural colored gravel (that is natural) at a great price per 5lbs (use at least 1 bag/5lbs in a tank of 5 gallons :) )

Nooo problem! Im excited to see how things go for you. Keep us posted!!! Your little fella is super cute :3
Old 07-14-2011, 03:22 AM   #8 
masshiimarro

oooh pretty betta! welcome to the forum! :) and yes, college kids unite! pahaha so whos dreading the 'official' move?

well in regards to gravel, if you plan on cycling... yeah i would use it. its where the beneficial bacteria that help cycling grow. theres really no harm in using gravel, except maybe if you move around alot and it gets in the way.
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote