Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #1 
Shaon

Question CO2 injector?

Hi everyone!

I had a quick question about CO2. I know that it is not required for low light tanks but nevertheless here is my situation.

I have a 15G tank and around 10-12 plants including moss inside it. I think this to be pretty heavily planted. I plan to use Seachem fertilizers but the issue is my lighting. I really can not change the lighting. Should I still use CO2 injections despite having low lights? (I only suggest this because I fear my heavily planted tank may require a CO2 injector, I could be wrong) Or will fertilizers be enough for my tank?

Thanks in advance ;)
Shaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:20 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

I dont think so. I think its usually 2-3+WPG to add CO2...

I wouldnt use it, but I dont know a whole lot. Ask the sister forum to this one, tropicalfishkeeping.com. youre a member there because youre one here :)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:57 AM   #3 
Shaon

I didn't I know I was a member on both sites xD Thanks for the heads up Pew^3!!

I'll be patient and see how my plants progress and decide later. Not too keen on spending a lot of cash on an injector :P

Btw Pew^3, your avatar of your Betta looks AMAZING!!

Last edited by Shaon; 07-14-2011 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-14-2011, 03:02 AM   #4 
PewPewPew

Ohthankyou :D Poor Baller, though, he got a nasty resistant strain of somethin' scary and it ate his lovley tail away. He's now no longer an HMDBT, hes more of a triple tail lookin' straglly thing :P Oh, well. He's a sweet thing, ugly fins or not ;D <3

And yeah- I didnt know for the longest time! Just make sure its in the right section so itll be answered quickly.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:05 AM   #5 
Shaon

Sorry to hear that, hope he does well :(
Old 07-14-2011, 03:28 AM   #6 
PewPewPew

No worries, he's a happy guy :) <3

"Hi, Shaon!"
Old 07-14-2011, 03:32 AM   #7 
roypattonphoto

i would NOT use CO2 in a low light tank, even heavily planted, it can cause wild and crazy growth...

if u find your not getting growth, make sure light/water conditions are right, if so, i would use a liquid co2 supplement once a month when i do my plant food..

i find in my heavy planted tank that i get plenty of growth w/ my food, water temp stays @ 80*F ...
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:55 AM   #8 
Shaon

@roypattonphoto hmm, so if I use CO2 inject I get wild and crazy growth? Doesn't sound that bad. If that is the only effect then I might consider it. The thing is I was under the impression that having CO2 in a low light tank would be counterproductive and could even harm my plants (i.e moss) because of my low lights. It is because of this fear that I had doubts o.O Thanks for the heads up though :)

@Pew^3 Omg...the way you described Baller to me, I thought his condition would be much much worse. He still looks GORGEOUS!! (I'm so jelly...)
Old 07-14-2011, 03:58 AM   #9 
roypattonphoto

ive never heard/read that it could hurt your plants, only down side that the increased co2 might stir and out break of Brown Algae which would be bad..,

only way i would use co2, is if i was planing a high-end plant eco system that would require a current and the whole works....
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:05 AM   #10 
Shaon

I heard that Excel (a carbon supplier like the CO2 injector) would do some bad things to moss o.O Assuming what I heard is accurate, could the CO2 injector be bad for the moss too? (specifically java moss)

How bad (toxic) is brown algae? Can shrimps eat that stuff?