What size is your tank? 5g
What temperature is your tank? 78F-80F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 pellets (twice daily)

Maintenance
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% weekly
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? salt and IAL

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? no
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no
When did you start noticing the symptoms? after 2 days from breeding
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes, I'm giving him bettafix for 7 days already but nothing worked. He is in QT still.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no

Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out why does my white betta have these symptoms and I don't know why he has clamped ventral fins and it has red marks/spots on it.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 4mos

See less See more
#2 ·
Can you post a pic.....and to understand....only change is ventral fins being held against his body (clamped) with red spots-where are the red spot...at the tips or near the body and does the redness look to be streaked/streaking toward the body.....no change in appetite or other signs/symptoms...still swimming around normally and eating.....he spawned 2 days ago...success or failure......have you checked him for velvet...no injuries from spawning or excessive fighting...etc......and if successful spawn how are the fry/wigglers......

#3 ·
mostly the redness is on the tip of the ventral fin or edges there is no redness on his body. he seems normal and still eats. no injuries from spawning. the spawn was a success but after a week the all of the fry died because they weren't swimming at all. the fry was at the bottom the whole time.

I will post pictures in a bit.

thank you for your response.

#5 ·
That looks like the start of fin rot. The red tints on the rest of the fins are also a symptom of stress. My white bettas always get that when the water isn't clean enough. Perform a 100% water change for now. Add 1tsp/gal Aquarium Salt. Either QT him and perform daily 100% water changes or do 30-50% daily water changes in the 5 gal. Continue the salt treatment for up to 10days, no longer. If you have API Stress Coat or Kordon's Fish Protector that will help. If you don't see any improvement after 4-5 days then up the salt dose to 2tsp/gal.

Long term, up your water changes to one 50% per week and one 100% per month.

Good luck and keep us posted!

#6 ·
In a filtered tank you shouldn't need to make 100% water changes...otherwise, you could destroy all the good bacteria....

Any live plants.....

Its hard for me to tell much by the pic....when did the clamp start in relation to moving him from the fry...

Since he is otherwise acting and eating okay...I would make some 50% water changes for a couple of days and observe.......is he still in the QT and if so....what size is it and temp......

#8 ·
@darkmoon17

one more question. this happened a week after I got her from thailand. one of my female betta is swimming weird. she's having a hard time swimming down and she is bloated not pine cone bloated. she is still aggressive but just having a hard time swimming. she still eats but she spend most of the time on top. there are sometime that she is okay and she is swimming at the bottom. When I wake up everymorning and check her out, she seems sick again and then after a few hours she seems fine. it's kinda weird...

I used to feed her four pellets twice a day and now I cut it down to 4 pellets once a day.

any tips/suggestions on what should I do with her?

#11 ·
Sorry about the delay hmboyz, how is your girl doing now? Were you able to treat her with the Epsom or is she still having trouble?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.