Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #1 
TexasCichlid

Bettas and Aquabid..

I'm not stranger to Aquabid. I used to buy a lot of Malawi's there, but after perusing the betta section I was simply astonished at the quality of bettas offered from breeders in Thailand. And not just one or two nice bettas. Hundreds of terrific looking bettas. Dozens of breeding pairs. Half moons, crown tails, giants, dragons, big ears..Beautiful solid black guys. Just amazing.

Then I looked at the price tags. $20? Not bad. Oh, $5 more to ship from Thailand. Oh..then it goes to a transhipper...Oh, then $20+ from the transhipper...

There seems to be, in my limited exposure, a lack of Thai quality Bettas being bred and sold in the States? Or am I just missing the website at the end of the golden brick road for ultimate bettas? Now, don't get me wrong -- the new bettas I've seen at Petsmart are heads and tails better than what I used to see. But I'm just surprised that there is not a sales forum on this site with people selling Thai comparable bettas at somewhat reasonable prices.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

It's pretty slow in the breeding season right now. People are still raising their spawns. Towards the end of the summer you should see a lot more US bred fish available.

Sadly a lot of US breeders breeding quality fish don't post their fish on AB. They cull a lot and sell the rest at show auctions which is great for those who can make it to shows but not so great for people who don't have access to local shows.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #3 
Luimeril

i tend to look at only US breeders right now. x: Chard sells some beauties, as does Hopdiggity(Chard's on here, too. :d). take a look-see at them. :3 Hopdiggity's even offering free priority shipping.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #4 
TexasCichlid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
It's pretty slow in the breeding season right now. People are still raising their spawns. Towards the end of the summer you should see a lot more US bred fish available.

Sadly a lot of US breeders breeding quality fish don't post their fish on AB. They cull a lot and sell the rest at show auctions which is great for those who can make it to shows but not so great for people who don't have access to local shows.
Betta shows and auctions?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #5 
anbu

Where in Texas are you from?
anbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #6 
TexasCichlid

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu View Post
Where in Texas are you from?
West Texas.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

I think buying from Thailand is cheaper than buying from Canada for me, and I'm Canadian! There are a few great breeders in my country, so I went looking and found Bettas just as nice, for $15 plus minimal shipping. Or I can take a drive and pick them up. I spent $80 to get a Betta on Aquabid from 2 provinces over, he died a week after getting here. The shipping was hard on him :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:21 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

The IBC is responsible for the betta standards and several chapters put on shows all over the world. At the end of each show many fish are auctioned off for cheap. Most starting bids are $3 and usually don't get higher than $10 so potentially you cab get a show quality fish fir less than the low quality ones at pet stores.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #9 
TexasCichlid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
The IBC is responsible for the betta standards and several chapters put on shows all over the world. At the end of each show many fish are auctioned off for cheap. Most starting bids are $3 and usually don't get higher than $10 so potentially you cab get a show quality fish fir less than the low quality ones at pet stores.
There a list of when and where the shows are?
Old 07-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #10 
mjoy79

I just ordered a fishy from aquabid and its being shipped from Thailand. But I would love to get some quaility fish in the US. The 2 fish I have already are from Petsmart and they seem to only offer the longtail and now the crowntail (maybe some PK, I'm not sure). I've been wanting a nice HM and didn't know where to get them around my area.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote