Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #1 
Pataflafla

Green Tea?

My sister was telling me that green tea could work similar to oak leaves, so I raided our pantry to see what teas we had and we did have green tea.

The only problem:
One is sweetened. Ingredients are powdered green tea and 100% cane sugar.

One is honey lemon flavored. Ingredients are decaf green tea, chamomile flowers, lemongrass, licorice root, roasted chicory root, and soy lecithin.

One is blueberry flavored. Ingredients are green tea, blueberry flavor and concentrated juice, and dried blueberry pieces.

I have a feeling the last one is completely unusable, but would the other ones be an option? I can go to and find just straight green tea, but if I could use one of these safely, it would be a lot easier. I do not have oak leaves available at all.

The fish in question is in a quarter gallon hospital tank with water temperatures in the low to mid 80s (I bought a heater which may not be working to keep the tank warm since it got down to 74 without a heater). The tank gets 100% water changes at least once a day. Tank is also dosed with aquarium salt to fight off fin rot and swollen gills as well as ammonia burns. He only eats 1 pellet a day, but is offered about 3 a day as well as 1 bloodworm, but he shows no more interest in food once he's eaten one pellet.
Attached Images

Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #2 
fightergirl2710

I don't think any of those would work. You would need decaf green tea with no extracts or sweetners.. I think it should be easy to find though :)
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

I figured. Just wanted to make sure I didn't buy something I didn't need. Good thing I'll probably be going out later to get my uncle set up for one of my bettas. Just swing by Kmart and grab a box on the way.

Thanks for the help. Just wanted to make sure what I put in the tank wouldn't kill him in seconds.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #4 
fightergirl2710

No problem :). As long as it's decaf and has no chamomile, chicory etc etc you'll be fine :D He's a cutie btw! He should start eating more once he's settled and feeling better! Then, since he's all skinny give him 3-4 tiny meals in the day, he'll absorb the nutrients better and fatten up in no time!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

I bought decaf green tea with decaf white tea mixed in. My sister has assured me that it will be ok to use. Now I just need to know dosing. I'll probably implement it after tomorrow's water change so he can rest up tonight.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:14 AM   #6 
fightergirl2710

Do you have teabags or loose tea?
With teabags I'd just dump one in and let it steep, the loose tea you can wrap up in a thin cloth like muslin and steep it. I think a teaspoon should be good... You can increase the amount depending how dark you want the water.. For my sick/ injured boys I like to get the water really dark, like it should look murky but I use IAL.. Do this gradually though, if you want it dark :).
Old 07-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Also just want to confirm that the white tea will not harm him. Decaf green tea, decaf white tea, and rooibos tea (which is naturally decaf) all work well for releasing tannins if you can't find Indian Almond Leaf. And most of us can't. Fighter is the lucky one with a tree growing in her yard.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #8 
fightergirl2710

Yup! Have lots of tea too
Old 07-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Must. Not. Hijack. Thread.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #10 
fightergirl2710

I'm not saying anything lol! Let's go back to ours XD