Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #21 
fightergirl2710

I would love to get an old dog. I find they have more character than pups and they're more mellow. I like mellow dogs :D
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #22 
laughing

I have had a Great Dane mentor, owned Danes, specialize in training them (they take a special approach, 'em big babies!), and know their feeding needs well. They are not a breed for everyone. While they are my absolute favorite breed, they have more health problems than I can count, they are the #1 breed prone to "bloat". My goal in life is to start my own Dane breeding line and improve the breed. Breed standards are falling apart, breeders that were once amazing are giving in, and to me this is NOT okay. I love this breed with a burning passion, if anything ever happened to them, I would be devastated.

As for Daschunds, lovely dogs, but nearly all of them will have at least one back surgery.

Please, just because you can get a dog, doesn't mean you should. Look at your lifestyle realistically, and do TONS of research beforehand so you don't end up stuck and either a) neglecting the dog or b) giving the dog to a shelter. Also, puppies are not what they're cracked up to be. They are a CHORE, and I personally love getting older dogs than puppies because puppies cannot be unattended ever, can not be crated for more than 2 hours, and need constanty care.

I am a dog expert, if you ever have a question, no matter how "stupid" it may sound to you, please, feel free to ask me! I'd rather you ask me 100 "stupid" questions and you becoming prepared than you jumping into it and be way over your head.

I know nearly all breeds like the back of my hand and have done extensive research and have had experience with them personally. I am kind of obsessed, you could say, but dogs and horses are my life, and I've never done anything else. I'm in college right now making my way into veterinarian school, so digestion and health are huge on my list. If I cannot answer something for you, I will call up my mentors and more experienced alliances to help discover it for you.

Right now I am trying to gain another Dane mentor strictly to show conformation events, and hopefully within another year will receive my Rottweiler show dog.

This is my last Dane girl. By 1 year old she knew 30+ commands, was fully house trained within the first week (it IS possible, anyone who says it takes month is full of it and doesn't know how to properly house train), and just after a year old she was ready to become a therapy dog.

Name:  callie2.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  20.0 KB

If you are still struggling on breeds, ask these major questions:

1.) How active are you, realistically? NOT how much you want to be!

2.) What grooming are you okay with doing? (i.e. how much)

3.) How long are you (& family) gone during the day, again, realistically? Do your parents work full time, and you and siblings go to school that whole time as well, and you sleep typically 8-10 hours? Or do you only go to school 4 hours, or a parent stays home full-time?

4.) What are the personalities/dynamics of the household? Are you a follower or a leader? Do you like being firm/aggressive, or being laid back? Is there a lot of arguements in the house, or does everyone get along without a hitch? Etc..

5.) What size expectations are you looking for? Chihuahua size, Beagle size, Brittany size, German Shepherd Dog size, or Great Dane size? (Not those breeds specifically, but their size.)

6.) Would you like an extremely playful dog (constantly being bugged to play) or that companion that quietly follows you around the house, staying close, but not bugging you?

7.) Where will the dog be most of the day? Indoors or out? In a crate, or a dog run? Roaming the house freely?

8.) What is the weather like where you live? Are summers bitterly cold, and summers excrucaitingly hot? Or is there a mild summer and freezing winter? Or a breezy winter and hot-as-heck summer? Or over-all nice?

9.) What do you expect from this dog? Strictly companion, or used for other things (besides "guard dog")? Agility, conformation events, etc?

10.) How much experience do you have with dogs in the past? Are you willing to do anything to have your dog well trained and socially "approved" and live a happy life?

Those are the main 10 questions, there will be more, but those are the ones that will set a good list of breeds for you that I can help you choose. Then I can ask more specific questions to help narrow it down more. From there, I'd suggest for you to research a LOT and try and gain real-life experience with the breed so you can get a "feel" for the breed and if it is really for you.

Good luck!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #23 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat2020 View Post
Beautiful dogs everyone! :)

As for the research trust me our family has been doing LOTS and will continue to do until we buy our new puppy...As for experience, we used to have a pitbull mix and a chihuahua mix when I was younger. Mom and Dad had dogs growing up as well...We really want a purebred but if we find a mixed breed that fits our requirement then we could take him/her as well.

The breeds we're looking at now are:

Medium/Larger Breeds-
Siberian Husky
Australian Cattle Dog
Boxer
Cocker Spaniel

Smaller Breeds-
Boston Terrier
English Bulldog
Minature Poodle
Westie
What kinds of exercise requirements are you willing to fullfill? Do you want a dog that is going to need a minimum of 1 hour hard exercise a day(fetch, running, long walk, etc) or are you leaning more towards a dog that can get away with a short walk and a little indoor play.

This is a big question because the large breeds you mentioned, especially the 1st three need MASSIVE amounts of exercise or they can become destructive. This is especially true in Huskies and ACD. Boxers are iffy but my dog is half boxer and I can tell you that she NEEDS exercise daily or she goes stir crazy.

Also, if your going with a breeder please do your research. Look for a breeder that does health testing on their dogs. A "heath check" from a vet is not health testing. Demand to see the scores for OFA, CHIC, etc for the pedigree. Familiarize yourself with the necessary issues of the breed you choose so you will know what sort of testing the breeder should be doing.

For instance breeders of Boxers should test their dogs for a heart condition common in the breed which causes many deaths.. the name escapes me right now.

Another example is Austrailian Cattle dogs can have a mutation where certain common preventative drugs (heart guards and the like) can kill them. A good ACD breeder will be checking for that mutation.

Always check the pedigree, ask how old the grandparents, great grands, etc were when they passed and what they passed of.

If you give a little information on what your looking for I can probably help you narrow down your breeds?
How much exercise?
Level of shedding?
How much grooming?
Do you want a dog that is biddable (easily trained) or presents more of a challenge training wise?
Do you want a dog that has the potential to be dog aggressive or would you rather avoid that?
How much prey drive are you willing to stand? (Can you handle a dog that can never be around small animals without killing them)
Are you willing to deal with a breed that tends to have short lives and serious health concerns (Boxers and EBD's in particular)
Can you deal with drool? If so to what extent?
Do you want a dog that can potentially have issues with strangers or one that tends to be friendly to all?
A dog that is great with all kids, older kids, or no kids?

I'm saying "you" but really this should be answered by your whole family, everyone should be in agreement on the decision so the breed fits the family.

I know a great dog forum you can join to ask more questions and get even more indepth information on what to look for in a breeder and there's a lot of show people on their that can possibly make recommendations as well.

I could probably go on LOL.... if ya didn't know I'm probably more dog crazy than I am fish crazy and that's saying something!

And BTW.. Welcome back! We've missed you around here.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #24 
laughing

Siberian Husky in a nut shell;
Needs intense exercise plus a lot of pulling work to be happy. Sheds a LOT. Likes to test you and not obey, needs a firm, consistent, leader type of owner. Are usually one people dogs. Don't even bother training them on a reliable recall, their instincts are too strong to get them to come to you in a highly distractive situation, so must stay on leash. Are escape artists. Like to PULL!

Australian Cattle Dog;
Like to nip heels especially of active people because of their instinct to herd. Also need a lot of exercise. Have more of a rough coat. Highly trainable, but personally I think they are not for inexperienced dog owners because of their herding instinct.

Boxer;
A goof ball! GOOF! They'll never ever ever grow up. This is good and bad. For one, you have a playful puppy companion for life, but you will never have a quiet, relaxed companion. These guys are totally ADD, so training you must keep them focused. They like to wrestle and be rough, it's how they got their name. They are even active indoors. Need moderate exercise daily, mostly through fun mentally stimulating play. Also very sensitive to things like anesthesia.

Cocker Spaniel;
Needs a lot of grooming requirements to keep their coats nice and keep ear infections from happening, but not very big shudders. This IS a spaniel and even though it is cute, they are hunting/sporting dogs and need off-leash exercise and plenty of exercise daily. Easy to train because they are sporting dogs and are partners with their people. Usually very, very great with kids. They do tend to have eye problems from what I have seen.

Boston Terrier;
Not a umm playful breed? Wont really fetch or play rough, will like more to go on peaceful walks and cuddle up with you. They are easily over heated, and cannot stand cold well. Also, not all are strong swimmers. A lot of health issues when poorly bred, but good companions. Not good with younger kids because they need to be handled softly and carefully.

English Bulldogs;
Little tanks! Don't be fooled! Will knock people over! They're so funny to be around. They need special care because of their wrinkles and such. Have many medical problems and are more expensive because ALL births are C-Sections. Not quickly trained, but are usually responsive. They do snore and drool!

Will continue later...
Old 07-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #25 
fishman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
Boxer;
A goof ball! GOOF! They'll never ever ever grow up. This is good and bad. For one, you have a playful puppy companion for life, but you will never have a quiet, relaxed companion. These guys are totally ADD, so training you must keep them focused. They like to wrestle and be rough, it's how they got their name. They are even active indoors. Need moderate exercise daily, mostly through fun mentally stimulating play. Also very sensitive to things like anesthesia.
They are also prone to cancerous tumors. And Moderate? HAha they don't think that!
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #26 
beat2020

Thanks for the responses laughing and Jackie...Really appreciate them
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
I have had a Great Dane mentor, owned Danes, specialize in training them (they take a special approach, 'em big babies!), and know their feeding needs well. They are not a breed for everyone. While they are my absolute favorite breed, they have more health problems than I can count, they are the #1 breed prone to "bloat". My goal in life is to start my own Dane breeding line and improve the breed. Breed standards are falling apart, breeders that were once amazing are giving in, and to me this is NOT okay. I love this breed with a burning passion, if anything ever happened to them, I would be devastated.

As for Daschunds, lovely dogs, but nearly all of them will have at least one back surgery.

Please, just because you can get a dog, doesn't mean you should. Look at your lifestyle realistically, and do TONS of research beforehand so you don't end up stuck and either a) neglecting the dog or b) giving the dog to a shelter. Also, puppies are not what they're cracked up to be. They are a CHORE, and I personally love getting older dogs than puppies because puppies cannot be unattended ever, can not be crated for more than 2 hours, and need constanty care.

I am a dog expert, if you ever have a question, no matter how "stupid" it may sound to you, please, feel free to ask me! I'd rather you ask me 100 "stupid" questions and you becoming prepared than you jumping into it and be way over your head.

I know nearly all breeds like the back of my hand and have done extensive research and have had experience with them personally. I am kind of obsessed, you could say, but dogs and horses are my life, and I've never done anything else. I'm in college right now making my way into veterinarian school, so digestion and health are huge on my list. If I cannot answer something for you, I will call up my mentors and more experienced alliances to help discover it for you.

Right now I am trying to gain another Dane mentor strictly to show conformation events, and hopefully within another year will receive my Rottweiler show dog.

This is my last Dane girl. By 1 year old she knew 30+ commands, was fully house trained within the first week (it IS possible, anyone who says it takes month is full of it and doesn't know how to properly house train), and just after a year old she was ready to become a therapy dog.

If you are still struggling on breeds, ask these major questions:

1.) How active are you, realistically? NOT how much you want to be!
Pretty active...I do a lot of exercise, sports, running etc..
2.) What grooming are you okay with doing? (i.e. how much)
We're okay with daily brushing or daily wrinkle cleaning (I.e. If we got a Bulldog or Boxer)
3.) How long are you (& family) gone during the day, again, realistically? Do your parents work full time, and you and siblings go to school that whole time as well, and you sleep typically 8-10 hours? Or do you only go to school 4 hours, or a parent stays home full-time?
1 parent stays at home full time; I go to school for 6 hours and Yes I sleep around 8-10 hours...
4.) What are the personalities/dynamics of the household? Are you a follower or a leader? Do you like being firm/aggressive, or being laid back? Is there a lot of arguements in the house, or does everyone get along without a hitch? Etc..
I'd consider myself more of a leader and a little of both on the firm/laid back. Not a lot of arguments around the house.
5.) What size expectations are you looking for? Chihuahua size, Beagle size, Brittany size, German Shepherd Dog size, or Great Dane size? (Not those breeds specifically, but their size.)
Beagle-German Shepherd size.
6.) Would you like an extremely playful dog (constantly being bugged to play) or that companion that quietly follows you around the house, staying close, but not bugging you?
I wouldn't mind a playful dog....
7.) Where will the dog be most of the day? Indoors or out? In a crate, or a dog run? Roaming the house freely?
The dog will be indoors most of the time but will have a good sized yard if needed to/wanted to.
8.) What is the weather like where you live? Are summers bitterly cold, and summers excrucaitingly hot? Or is there a mild summer and freezing winter? Or a breezy winter and hot-as-heck summer? Or over-all nice?
Where we might move Summers are pretty hot...Normally gets up to 100* F. Winters are very mild.
9.) What do you expect from this dog? Strictly companion, or used for other things (besides "guard dog")? Agility, conformation events, etc?
Comapanion. Maybe will try out agility.
10.) How much experience do you have with dogs in the past? Are you willing to do anything to have your dog well trained and socially "approved" and live a happy life?
Parents have had plenty of experience with dogs; I grew up with a couple. And of course...
Those are the main 10 questions, there will be more, but those are the ones that will set a good list of breeds for you that I can help you choose. Then I can ask more specific questions to help narrow it down more. From there, I'd suggest for you to research a LOT and try and gain real-life experience with the breed so you can get a "feel" for the breed and if it is really for you.

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
What kinds of exercise requirements are you willing to fullfill? Do you want a dog that is going to need a minimum of 1 hour hard exercise a day(fetch, running, long walk, etc) or are you leaning more towards a dog that can get away with a short walk and a little indoor play.
I would like to do more outdoor activities like you said fetch, walks, and jogging.
This is a big question because the large breeds you mentioned, especially the 1st three need MASSIVE amounts of exercise or they can become destructive. This is especially true in Huskies and ACD. Boxers are iffy but my dog is half boxer and I can tell you that she NEEDS exercise daily or she goes stir crazy.

Also, if your going with a breeder please do your research. Look for a breeder that does health testing on their dogs. A "heath check" from a vet is not health testing. Demand to see the scores for OFA, CHIC, etc for the pedigree. Familiarize yourself with the necessary issues of the breed you choose so you will know what sort of testing the breeder should be doing.

For instance breeders of Boxers should test their dogs for a heart condition common in the breed which causes many deaths.. the name escapes me right now.

Another example is Austrailian Cattle dogs can have a mutation where certain common preventative drugs (heart guards and the like) can kill them. A good ACD breeder will be checking for that mutation.

Always check the pedigree, ask how old the grandparents, great grands, etc were when they passed and what they passed of.

If you give a little information on what your looking for I can probably help you narrow down your breeds?
How much exercise?
30 minutes to 90 minutes of exercise each day...
Level of shedding?
Doesn't really matter...
How much grooming?
We'd be willing to do daily grooming.
Do you want a dog that is biddable (easily trained) or presents more of a challenge training wise?
Wouldn't mind an easily trained dog but I'd be up for a challenge if needed.
Do you want a dog that has the potential to be dog aggressive or would you rather avoid that?
We'd rather avoid that if we could...
How much prey drive are you willing to stand? (Can you handle a dog that can never be around small animals without killing them)
No I don't think I can handle a dog that's NEVER comfortable around small animals. We DO know that the Siberian Husky has a high prey drive which is why we're still not sure.
Are you willing to deal with a breed that tends to have short lives and serious health concerns (Boxers and EBD's in particular)
We know those two breeds can have health issues so if we do go for one of them we will look for a good breeder.
Can you deal with drool? If so to what extent?
Not sure about this one...
Do you want a dog that can potentially have issues with strangers or one that tends to be friendly to all?
Wouldn't mind a watch dog but generally I would like for him to be more friendly.
A dog that is great with all kids, older kids, or no kids?
All kids.
I'm saying "you" but really this should be answered by your whole family, everyone should be in agreement on the decision so the breed fits the family.

I know a great dog forum you can join to ask more questions and get even more indepth information on what to look for in a breeder and there's a lot of show people on their that can possibly make recommendations as well.

I could probably go on LOL.... if ya didn't know I'm probably more dog crazy than I am fish crazy and that's saying something!

And BTW.. Welcome back! We've missed you around here.
Well I answered the questions in bold. Hopefully the answers help! Thanks for the welcome back by the way. :)

Last edited by beat2020; 07-14-2011 at 08:30 PM.
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #27 
1fish2fish

A boxer does sound like a good fit for you. The summers worry me though because brachecephalic dogs (smoosh face) overheat very easily so in the summer you'll have to exercise early morning/late evening. Doggie /kiddie pools are great and boxers LOVE water (at least all the ones I've met).

Boxers do drool so that is something you will have to consider. They're not the worst droolers but when they're hungry or drink water you can expect a little drool. They seem to love getting a big drink of water and then wiping their mouths on your lap LOL

Boxers are usually good with other dogs and small animals in their house... squirrels are fair game IME They LOVE all people but IMO aren't the best around young kids because they are very playful and can sometimes be... overenthusiastic.... sometimes they don't realize that they need to tone it down around small people.

I also should have asked you if you mind snoring LOL.. Boxers can saw some wood. Even my girl Bella who doesn't have the smushed face snores bad. They also love to snort in your face
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #28 
laughing

Basically you want a companion dog, who needs moderate exercise, minimal shedding/grooming, between 30-80lbs, preferably no drooling/snoring, that needs to be dog/animal friendly, as well as good with family/strangers?

Automatically Siberian Huskies, English Bull Dogs, Australian Cattle Dogs, and West Highland White Terriers are out.

In my opinion, forget about hunting breeds, terrier breeds, and most spaniel breeds. A Cocker Spaniel can be good with small animals, but not always. I will come up with a good list for you soon!

So far, Boxer seems like a good option. As long as you are aware of their health issues, are willing to go for a trainer for them, and don't mind a dog chewing on a squeeky toy while you're working on homework, falling you around with a slobbery tennis ball dropping it on your nice clothes, or bringing you unconventional items (frogs, twigs, dead things) to play with, then you'll be good! ;)

List be waiting...
Old 07-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #29 
laughing

Oh, forgot about the heat issue, I wouldn't get a Boston Terrier if you get that high of temps. Plus, they aren't a very active breed, I think you'd be disappointed.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #30 
beat2020

Yeah I do know about the overheating and I've heard about the kiddie pool. :P lol
About how much excercise do they need a day?

Good to know about them being good with other dogs, since like I said, we'll most likely have two dogs in the future. (Still have to decide on the small breed and which one we should own first! :)

And we have talked about the snoring lol and we wouldn't mind
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote