Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2011, 03:03 AM   #81 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
Eyes, heart, hip, etc testing, too is a must. They should also show conformation events for them. Puppy contracts, spay/neuter contracts, being able to see the site meet the mom, etc are all important. It takes a long time to pick a good >>>>ethical<<<< breeder you enjoy and wait for them to have a litter.
Please see the one word in this whole sentence that means the MOST!!! There is a HUGE difference between great breeders, and ETHICAL breeders! Go laughing!

And also... ahem... go with a rescue. Please.

This boy lost his life because someone would rather a breeder puppy :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1800 View Post
That's true - they don't look much like Rottweilers! I was thinking along the lines of guarding. The Rottweilers I know (and that's a lot! People around here, oh my) have very strong guarding tendencies. They guarded their properties and people and from what I saw, it was difficult to get them to warm up to new people.

Of course, there were exceptions! My uncle used to have a Rottweiler named Bradford and he was the most chill dog of that breed that I ever met. Great with kids, barely looked up when someone walked on the property. It was the beagle who was going bonkers.
I have to say one thing.. not a single Rottie I have ever met in my lifetime of 27 years has ever had an issue meeting new people. None, zip, nada! I would moreso lean towards people being iffy about an unknown Rottie and the dog feeding off that. If I were a dog and a human was being sketchy, I wouldn't trust them for one minute! haha But yes, every single one I have met for the first time LOVED me to bits, I fear no breed and approach all dogs with a loving heart. They feel that.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:28 AM   #82 
laughing

Thanks for pointing out the Rottweiler part, PitLuvs. I ignored it because I didn't want a heated discussion to rise up... There is a large difference between poorly bred Rottweilers for guarding purposes to be "big macho dogs" feeding into the controversy and well-bred, true Rottweilers that are actually big babies.

There was a news story about 2 men breaking into a house with a Rottweiler, and the Rottweiler fled the house and was loose on the streets. It was picked up, and before it was even checked for a microchip or the owners contacted, put to sleep. Big ol scary dog right there, running from the robbers, right?
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:22 AM   #83 
dramaqueen
Banned

The only thing about adopting a dog is you don't know what you;re getting. We saved a dog from the pound and hr was the best dog in the world. A neighbor of mine adopted a Sheltie that hid all the time, wouldn't eat if someone was in the room with it and was very difficult to walk.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #84 
gmd1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
Thanks for pointing out the Rottweiler part, PitLuvs. I ignored it because I didn't want a heated discussion to rise up... There is a large difference between poorly bred Rottweilers for guarding purposes to be "big macho dogs" feeding into the controversy and well-bred, true Rottweilers that are actually big babies.
That's very true. Rottweilers have such a bad rap around here since I live right on the border between the ghetto neighborhoods (sorry for putting it like that) and the rednecks (once again, sorry). People in these parts get a Rottweiler or a pit bull because they look big, mean, and scary, and then the dogs end up biting people or fighting their own owners.

I apologize if I've offended anyone or presented false information - almost all of the experiences I've had with these dogs were negative.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #85 
1fish2fish

Yeah Redyre is located in North Carolina. I'm not sure when her next litter will be because I think she rehomed the bitch she was planning on breeding. I'm sure she'll have something around the corner soon though.

Rottweilers arent' for me but I love her dogs. They look like what a Rottie SHOULD look like IMO and have temperaments to boot from what I've heard.

This guy is from one of her litters and is my favorite Rott ever.
ET
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #86 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
The only thing about adopting a dog is you don't know what you;re getting. We saved a dog from the pound and hr was the best dog in the world. A neighbor of mine adopted a Sheltie that hid all the time, wouldn't eat if someone was in the room with it and was very difficult to walk.
And you never know what you're getting with a breeders dog either. Sounds like that Sheltie needs time and training. We have to remember, these dogs are in shelters not because they are the best behaved and well off dogs of the world. They are there because humans couldn't take care of them or train them properly. You will do just as much work with a new puppy as a shelter dog when it comes to training. Also, when adopting a dog, you don't go for the first dog you see. You get to know each dog you're interested in with walks and one on one time, then you decide.

There's also the ol saying out there... If you rescue a dog, they know it. If you buy a dog, they know it. My rescue is a much more appreciative dog than my breeder buy. My breeder dog is just plain spoiled and doesn't know what a hard day is! My rescue knows what it's like to starve.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #87 
dramaqueen
Banned

Our dog that we rescued from the pound was very loyal and loving and he was protective of us. I think he knew he was given a better life than he would/could have had.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #88 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Our dog that we rescued from the pound was very loyal and loving and he was protective of us. I think he knew he was given a better life than he would/could have had.
What a lucky boy :hearts:
Old 07-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #89 
fishman12

One time a rottweiler stray came down my cove and plopped down at the end of it... He was very sweet. He stayed for a few days and then just up and left...
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote