Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #11 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Question; is the FD blood w. too big/long? If it's too big, your bettas are too young. Young females would fight like males when jarred. The females would show bars like the breeding bars - but she isn't in a breeding mood. This might be your problem.

I suggest you wait until they are big enough to gulp down BW whole..... or at least 3cm (body only).

To get them off flakes, you could exclusively feed mosq. larva for 3 days. They should get over flakes. Must warn you though, they may not want to eat anything else - you may need to starve them before they'll eat other food.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #12 
elegantlyunsophisticated

they can get the whole worm into their mouth, they just spit it out after thinking about it for a couple seconds. If I crush them up they'll eat them right up. Going by Indjo's size suggestion (thanks a ton for that by the way, I have no other way of telling how old they are), they are both around 2 1/2 cm. How long would it take for them to mature and get up to the right size? Do you recommend any changes to their diet?
elegantlyunsophisticated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #13 
indjo
TFK Moderator

unless they're growth are stunted, 2.5cm should be about +2 - 3 months. I'd give them another month (at least) to grow and mature.

IME wormy foods makes them grow more while shrimp like foods make them more compact with more developed fins.
Frozen BW, live ML, or any live/high protein food will do. Just keep up with the water changes.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote