Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #1 
CitrusKnight

Cleaning the Tank

So I know this has probably been mentioned somewhere before, but I'm not that good at finding things :I Anyway, I've never actually gone about cleaning a tank before, and considering I have to clean the tank every week (i have a five gallon so it's suppose to be 50% cleanings, right?). Is there a list of things I should get to clean the tank every week?
CitrusKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

A filtered, cycled 5 gallon should be fine with once a week 50% water change..If it isn't cycled you might want to up it to two 50%'s.

The list of things I use to clean my 5 gallon tank :
  • Gravel vac siphon
  • 5 gallon bucket
  • aquarium sponge or algae scraper ( I only use this if the glass is looking dirty or spotty)
  • water jugs
  • water conditioner

I first unplug everything, then I fill up my water jugs with water the same temperature as the tank..using a thermometer helps.. I then add the water conditioner to the jugs.. I clean the inside of the glass if it needs it...then I start the siphon and clean the gravel with it. When I refill the tank I make sure to pour it into my hand or use the betta cup my betta came in so it doesn't create a strong current..Once everything is filled back up I plug everything back in and I water my herb garden.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #3 
Shaon

I also have a quick question about cleaning a fish tank (sorry for hijacking your thread Citrusknight!)

There are calcium deposits (if that's what you call them) on the top edges of the tank where the water level used to be. I know that vinegar (acidic stuff) should be used to get rid of them but I tried that and i still have those white stains.

Any other suggestions?
Shaon is offline   Reply With Quote