Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #1 
misabot

Roy, Betta, inflammed gil, cloudy water

Housing
What size is your tank? standard fish bowl (not small, not huge, maybe 1/2 gallon)
What temperature is your tank? 68-72 deg right now, but it was about 75 degrees before I changed water 30 min ago.
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? freeze dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? mon, wed, fri.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? when it looks dirty (i just learned thats not proper)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? whole water change (i just learned thats not proper)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? none, but yesterday after I found him with a cloudy bowl and white furry stuff on his chin, the pet store sold me API stress coat- I added 2 drops into his water yesterday. Today it was grayish water and his gill is inflammed.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? yes, white fluff under chin, looks grayish, inflammed gill
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lethargic, not eating, laying at bottom of bowl, then to the surface, but not swimmming very much.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes, i did a full water change, then added API stress coat.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)?about a year

I've had Roy (betta) for almost a year. He lives in a bowl and his water rarely looks dirty, so i don't change it that often. He has been fine until yesterday.

I came into work and his bowl was cloudy/oily.
I changed his water and noticed that there was white fuzzy stuff under his little fish chin.

I went to the pet store, and lady there said that I should only change the water @15% and always use a dechlorinator.

I came back to work and added 2 drops of API stress coat into his bowl.

Today, I came in and his bowl was greyish cloudy, not white cloudy.
I see that one gill is puffed out the fin on his under belly, looks a bit ragged.

I did a 50% water change and he is at the bottom of the bowl, like he is resting... oh, now he is at the top of the bowl leaning on the glass and looking at me for help.

i love him so much, please help.
misabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #2 
masshiimarro

umm.... well first off, bettas need at least a 1.5 gal to live in, and those would require 100% water change every other day. he needs the water changed in that amount becuase the smaller the tank, the more maintence, and good bacteria can never fully cycle in the tank b/c of the size. more likely than not you would come across issues like yours before it can cycle.

for now i would put him on AQ salt and dosage for that is 1 tsp per gal. you can find AQ salt in any petstore. im sure petsmart and petco sells them. make sure you dissolve all the salt in some tank water before adding it into your tank. dont put the granules of salt directly into the tank.
from your description it seems like he could have columnaris... im not quite sure though. hopefully someone else can come along and help out.

and.. the freeze dried bloodworms are not supposed to be a staple diet, those are more of treats. they are like what potato chips are to us.. the best thing you could do tho, is find some frozen bloodworms, and feed those to him 6 days a week, and fast him one day of the week. those are more nutritious and second only to live food. you can find those in petsmart/petco in their freezers.

and fyi, usually the petstore employees dont quite fully know what theyr talking about. take their advice with a grain of salt.. but hey, at least youre trying! we are happy to help!
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #3 
masshiimarro

oh, and if you could snap a pic of him for us to see it would help alot too :)
Old 07-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #4 
misabot

this is Roy. he is usually more feisty. He has lived in this bowl for almost a year.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #5 
masshiimarro

ah.. umm.. his fins are really clamped DX
and i just saw that your water temp is like at 68, too cold for bettas. they are tropical fish, so try to get him to a warmer place. ideal temp should be around 76-80.

in the pic its kinda hard to tell, but does his head normally look patchy? looks like he may have some sort of fungus or bacterial infection? does he dart around and try to scratch? what does his poop look like?

he looks awfully skinny though, definitely do try to get him to eat frozen bloodworms to plump him back up.

i want to say he might have finrot, but im not sure. its too hard to tell in the pic.
but given your conditions, it seems like there would be finrot/ammonia burn and possibly columnaris.. if it is columnaris you need to get him medication immediately. im sorry but im not sure on how to medicate columnaris. you may want to PM OldFishLady for help. heres an link for columnaris: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Columnaris.html

to be on the safe side though, do change the water 100% at least every other day, cleaner water never does any harm.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

He looks to be in pretty bad shape...how long has he looked like this....what is the source water used for water changes...tap water, well water, bottled water, rainwater...etc.....

Have you not been using dechlorinator with water changes-is this not normally used or needed in your area/location.....if tap water used......do you know how it is treated..

Before this last water change....or before he started to get sick....when was the last water change...
I ask because you posted that you only made water changes when the water looked dirty and if it was long period between water changes....you may be seeing pH shock....

Water temp....did you match or at least try to get the water temp within a couple of degrees between new and old water with the water change and how did you acclimate to the tank after the water change.......

Did he suddenly start looking like this or has it been gradual, if so, over what period of time....

Right now-I would get him start on Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and tannins-also can you get the temp up to at least 75-76F

Pre-mix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal (Not aquarium salt) and tannins either IAL or Oak leaf and use this pre-mixed like temp treatment water for 25% water changes every hour for the next 4 hours....once I get more information to help with diagnosis...... we will know what direction to take.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #7 
misabot

This started on Tuesday (2 days ago)

I came into work and his water was cloudy so we changed it with filtered tap water and we never used dechlorinator .

Last water change was in June

We just got a water temp monitor on Tuesday when we went to the pet store to ask about his condition.

This happened all of a sudden.

Right now i put some aquarium salt and 1 drop of API dechlorinator with new water. the temp is around between 75-79