Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #1 
AngelusProwl

Akio's Tail Problem

Hello, My betta, Akio, all of a sudden lost a lot of his tail between about 9am July 13th to 4:30 am? today, July 14th. Since I was so busy yesterday I didn't notice till I looked over at his tank next to the couch when I sat down..
Yesterday when he was fed he was perfectly fine and all.
It is a 1.5 Gal tank, with a filter it came with. (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...-Pets/10291810)
He is the only betta we have right now.
Have 4 cats X_X ... and Chromia loves to watch him.. and he usually comes out to swim in front of her fanning his fins sometimes... otherwise he ignores her. I also had to fix the tank lid to make sure Chromia and the others couldn't get a paw into the top.
I was making the mistake of leaving the led light on his tank, and that is now being shut off.
His tank is in the living room next to the couch.

I don't know fore sure if it's tail rot or if he's eating his own tail.
Please look at the pictures and see if you can tell for sure. (sorry they aren't the best quality... used my cam. phone... and he's not a photogenic betta..)

Thank you all for your time, even if you don't know for sure.

- "AngelusProwl" & Akio

Before:

Also note I have added new shelter for him... that pic is from when I FIRST got him couple months ago... also, the only rocks he has are the smooth ones now... I take out the broken ones.

Akio this morning..

Tank setup.
AngelusProwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #2 
fightergirl2710

It looks like he's been biting his tail, you can prevent infection by adding 1 tsp of aquarium salt to a gallon of water. If you have live plants or snails, you can do this in a separate smaller container. I usually use 1 gallon plastic containers because it's easier to change the water. Use the aquarium salt for 10 days maximum. Change the water 100% for this treatment. It will help both to prevent rot and heal the bitten fins. You should feed him some high protein foods to help his tail grow. The reason for biting could be anything, boredom, stress or he might be feeling his tail is too heavy :D.. Just keep his water clean and he wont get any infections :).
EDIT: Looking at the pics again, it may be rot or an injury. I'm not sure if they bite their fins as well. I'm sure someone can tell you. But the treatment would be the same.

Last edited by fightergirl2710; 07-14-2011 at 10:11 AM.
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #3 
HarlequinBBRM

It looks like what Sebastian's dorsal fin did. He nomed his fin after I left the light on in his tank, so it looks like your fish has the same stressor as mine. As long as you keep the water clean and if there is no sign of infection setting in, he should heal up fine. Just remember to leave the light off in the future ;)

You may also want to put his tank in another location so your cats can't get to him and stress him further until he heals.

Good luck with Akio!
HarlequinBBRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #4 
BettaRepublic

Definetly tailbiting. 1 tsp. of aquaruim salt per gallon. (for you that would be 1.5 tsp.) The light is probably stressing him out, possibly affecting his "sleep".
Sorry I couldn't help more. Never experienced tailbiting.
BettaRepublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #5 
AngelusProwl

Thanks guys. Right now I can't move it again till my shoulder stops, or if BF will move it when he gets back.. (moved it twice today with water when cleaning it) For now I will put a cloth around the sides, but leaving the opening clear so air still gets into the tank.
AngelusProwl is offline   Reply With Quote