Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2011, 12:23 AM   #11 
Sakura8

Well, since other pets are known to react to our moods, I wouldn't put it past Aoi to react to you. Maybe you stomped around venting or something and he thought, "Ah, mad. Got it!" and started to act mad too. When you came home grumpy, was this after you had moved his tank next to your desk? If so, then he would have been even closer to observe and react to your mood.

Bettas can be very intuitive and they definitely are very observant. A friend of mine recently lost his prized betta very suddenly and he was quite upset about it. His other betta, who had been a hyperactive and difficult boy at the time because he was being conditioned to breed, was very calm and well-behaved the day my friend lost his betta, exactly as if he knew he shouldn't cause his sad owner any trouble that day. So yes, I definitely think it's possible Aoi reacted to you and your mood. Another intricate link in the betta/owner relationship.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #12 
Minxies

D'aww.. I'm sorry for your friend's loss. :<

And yeah, I dunno though hahahah. I believe it though. (My cats react too, they stay stock still and stare at me closely.)
I don't usually stomp though, I DID raise my voice when I vented on the phone though; so that could of done it...

*glances over at her tank and smiles as he flares at her and wriggles around*

It's weird... Honestly, I bought Aoi on a sheer whim, mainly for his spirit.
I didn't think I'd be this gaga over a fish...Surprises me still how much I really REALLY love him..
Minxies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:27 AM   #13 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minxies View Post
I hope yer right. Those abrasions worry me; but then again... His activeness is why I bought him. I watched him in his cup, and when I picked him up to look at him; he swam to the opposite end of the cup. Making me draw my face closer to look at him; As I did so he flared at me and actually CHARGED me, swimming right at my face. Spooked me so bad I nearly dropped him, lol!
I liked that spirit of his... So you might be right; he's an active betta. I just never noticed this much activity until now.

I forgot to mention I also moved his tank over a week ago... Would that have any affect? (Apart from him swimming more in excitement)
He was across the room before; but now his tank is right by me, and my computer/art desk.
He's definitely got some spunk in him, if he charged you while in his cup! He sounds like an absolute character.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #14 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minxies View Post
D'aww.. I'm sorry for your friend's loss. :<

And yeah, I dunno though hahahah. I believe it though. (My cats react too, they stay stock still and stare at me closely.)
I don't usually stomp though, I DID raise my voice when I vented on the phone though; so that could of done it...

*glances over at her tank and smiles as he flares at her and wriggles around*

It's weird... Honestly, I bought Aoi on a sheer whim, mainly for his spirit.
I didn't think I'd be this gaga over a fish...Surprises me still how much I really REALLY love him..
I know, I totally understand. It's just a fish, right? A silly little fish that probably doesn't even have much of a brain. That's what I was thinking when I first bought my Sherman. I'm just getting a fish because I can't get any more cats, that's what I thought. But the first day I had him, Sherman totally changed the way I thought about fish. He comes to the front of his tank when he sees me, he gets mad at me and happy at me. And my girls are all so crazy and so different from each other. I never get tired of watching and interacting with all of my bettas. But Sherman is my baby and he gets the special tank right by me.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:49 AM   #15 
Minxies

Oh it gets better... the little brat decided he'd try to attack my hand when I was putting him in his 1gallong tank (the first tank I bought him)
I had just got done floating him and was putting him in the water, tipping the bag over carefully; he swam AGAINST the current and bit at my hand before sliding into the water.

Made me laugh hard for awhile.

And I know... Aoi really has changed my outlook on fish (Mainly Bettas)
He makes me giggle with just the smallest of things, like hiding behind his filter thinking I can't see him.
Or playing the "I'm bigger than you" game with me. =p
(I taught him the game by puffing my cheeks out at him; he flares at me back when I do it; lmao)
Old 07-15-2011, 12:56 AM   #16 
Sakura8

What a guy! You usually don't see ones with that much spirit and life from pet stores. You've got yourself a real rascal there. My betta Sherman didn't bite me ever until the day after I accidentally sucked him up the siphon hose. Now he bites me at least once a day, just to let me know he still hasn't forgotten his little "ride." But for Aoi to have the guts to bite at you while going into his first home is hilarious.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #17 
Minxies

He is a cutie, And such a brat. I'll give him that

--UPDATE-- I see another scale appearently missing.
I did another partial water change this mornin; another tsp of Aq.Salt in the new gallon I put in.
The spots on him are PINK now; which I'm keeping a VERY close eye on...I'm going tomorrow to get the stress coat, and I'm gonna see about putting sponge behind his filter to keep him from going behind it.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:53 AM   #18 
Sakura8

Pink could possibly mean healing (like our skin is pink under scabs) but if it turns inflamed red-looking, then we could have trouble.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #19 
Minxies

*Nods* Checked again this morn, still pink.. Today I'm gonna put him in his 1gallon tank; do a 100% water change in his 3gallon tank. Try to take pictures of him so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

Also planning on hitting petstores; looking for API-stress coat. See if I can use that rather than that top-fin stuff.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #20 
Sakura8

Sounds like a plan. Just try not to walk out with another betta. Don't be like the rest of us addicts. I go in for cat food and end up with a betta. Forgot the cat food, too.

Tags
diseases, gray, sores, treatments