Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #1 
NCPanthersgurl

Betta Spawn log, maybe? :)

Meet the maybe daddy:

Meet the maybe mamma: {the stress stripe is significantly reduced since I bought her yesterday, and I don't intend to start courting attempts for a couple days yet. :) }

Meet the blog where I hope to document it all:
http://ncpanthersgurl.tumblr.com/

Tomorrow, or saturday, I plan to hit up Petco for some plants, hiding spaces, and some frozen BBS. The water is being conditioned, and mamma and papa are being fed nomlicious foods. :3

I haven't heard much about egg yolk, success or otherwise, so I'm going to give it a try. I'll record my results, and of course, it won't be the only food offered. :)

And I also have several potential homes lined up.

I wanted to be a marine biologist when I was itty bitty. It would make my heart squeal with joy to raise such fascinating fishes into "adulthood". I hope this works well for me. :)
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #2 
Luimeril

ffsh. i adore the daddy so much, i may want a baby from him. x: i dunno what your outcome would be. pet store bettas are hard to determine, since you don't know the parents, or grandparents. the outcome will be pretty hard to figure out. you may end up with common colors, you may end up with rare, unusual colors. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #3 
NCPanthersgurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
ffsh. i adore the daddy so much, i may want a baby from him. x: i dunno what your outcome would be. pet store bettas are hard to determine, since you don't know the parents, or grandparents. the outcome will be pretty hard to figure out. you may end up with common colors, you may end up with rare, unusual colors. :3
By the time I get the babies, I'll be too excited to see them all wiggling around to care what color they turn out! :P But I am curious. I've heard purple is a hard color to pass, so I wonder what she'll "donate". And he's so unique with his pink. It gets a little brighter every day...and they both eat like little piggies, and are picky, so I'm betting the babies will be too. >.< I've heard about the low success rate of getting fry to adults, which worries me, but I've done a ton of reading. I'm also trying to use non-live foods, though I will probably incorporate some of the MW's that I'm generously being given. I have egg yolk, frozen brine, frozen daphnia, flakes, freeze dried shrimp and bloodworms.....I think I literally bought a little of everything >.< My tank is set up, the temperature is about 75 right now, I'm letting it go up a few more degrees before I release Jazz in there. {I've been gradually adding and conditioning the water}

I'm trying to do this as perfect as possible, lol. >.< And again trying to keep some more natural elements, because I feel like in nature they do it fine so I just need to make sure the proper nutrients and environment are available and they'll do their own thing.

I have water lettuce for the bubble nest... I'm still looking for a filter, but since I won't need that til they're free swimming I have a few days at least....I have a cave for her to hide in, and a soft fabric plant...I'm trying to keep the water kinda open, but provide hiding spots...I've been feeding both of them nommy foods, Jazz is learning that when I come to the tank he'll usually at least get a bloodworm >.<

Worse case I have another male. But I hope these two work together. I think they'd make beautiful babies. :)
Old 07-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #4 
NCPanthersgurl

K so here's a newer picture of mamma. She's doing a lot better than when I bought her! Even better than that first picture. No more stress stripe!

I can't wait to see these two's babies. >.<

Old 07-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #5 
NCPanthersgurl

I'm having a difficult time getting her to stay still with him in there >.<

But seriously, vertical stripes? They've been in the "same" tank for five minutes! She wants loose, badddd. And he's flaring a bit. :)
Old 07-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #6 
Shimizoki

Very cool, from my reading that happens occasionally. You still don't want to release her just yet though.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #7 
NCPanthersgurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimizoki View Post
Very cool, from my reading that happens occasionally. You still don't want to release her just yet though.
Nope. Not until she's a bit rounder, and he's started building a nest. I'm keeping an eye on them. To be honest, I was worried she wouldn't take to this very well cause she's been kinda skiddish. But everywhere he goes, she follows in her little jar watching him. He comes over every few minutes and flares up, circles a bit.

I think it helps that I added a couple drops of his old water to hers. I read that it would. Maybe?
Old 07-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #8 
Luimeril

purple is nearly impossible. it's more often blue with red wash, like my boy, Purple:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8554713&type=1

if he has pink, he's probably got red wash. which means, many, if not all of, the fry will have it. x: may churn out some unique babies!

it's normal to lose some fry. it's part of nature. x: but, with the help of the expert breeders here, you can maximize the number of fry who survive. :d
Old 07-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #9 
NCPanthersgurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
purple is nearly impossible. it's more often blue with red wash, like my boy, Purple:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8554713&type=1

if he has pink, he's probably got red wash. which means, many, if not all of, the fry will have it. x: may churn out some unique babies!

it's normal to lose some fry. it's part of nature. x: but, with the help of the expert breeders here, you can maximize the number of fry who survive. :d
Well the second pic I took shows it better but she has some beautiful purple to her. And it's just becoming more and more enhanced the longer they're around each other. Which I also read would happen. And I'm starting to see a bit of red in his fins, so I'm sure he has red in him. So if he has red, and say she has red and blue....maybe something unique will come of it. Or maybe just bright bright beautiful reds. I can't wait to see. :)
Old 07-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #10 
Luimeril

hopefully, by the time the fry are ready, i'll be able to pay ya to ship me one. >w< i call dibs on the 2nd most unique one that survives. xD

you never know what you will get by crossing colors like you are, and with pet store bettas it's even more of a surprise. :d they may throw you something truly amazing!

Tags
babies, betta, log, spawn