Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #21 
NCPanthersgurl

So. Bought a new heater last night, set it to 82, and...during the night it jumped my tank to 90. -_-
Jazz is in a bit of shock, he's lethargic and swims pretty much only for air. I did a 100% water change and left the heater off for now, he seems to be perking up.
Note to self, under compensate with this heater.

For now I'm going to work on reconditioning him, in the breeder tank so he becomes comfortable in it. The female is away too, but she's doing phenomenal today; not skiddish like she's been, very vibrant. I love that the small interaction she had yesterday brought out her colors so well.

I also got curious and put her next to Riot for a couple minutes. They both flared, and he danced around the side of his tank at her. So if things don't work out with Jazz, I do have another very eager male. I put him in Jazz's 2gal for now, after a 100% water change yesterday, and I'm going to begin conditioning him just in case.

Update when things start happening. >.<
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #22 
Luimeril

i usually put the heater in, set it as low as it'll go, then slowly, every hour, bump it up a bit till it reaches the temp i want. that's how i did it for Chappy, when she was a baby. x: poor Jazz! get better, beautiful boy! :O i want your babies.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #23 
NCPanthersgurl

Lol, trust me, I do too! But he seems to be starting to get a bit better. He's moving a bit more. Still hasn't eaten that I noticed, but he's started picking at some bloodworms.

I left the heater off for a couple hours, and just turned it on about half an hour ago to a reasonably low setting. Tank seems to be settled at 76, I think I'll leave it for a while before I bump it up though. Help him settle easier.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #24 
NCPanthersgurl

Small update; Jazz is doing super better and is now more vibrant and active than before. I'm thinking the brine shrimp I added to his conditioning diet helped. :) So, pressing forward with breeding plans. :)
Old 07-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #25 
NCPanthersgurl

Also, here's an updated pic of Jazz...trying to not let me have a pic.... :P

Old 07-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #26 
NCPanthersgurl

Everything looked ready. Jazz has been blowing sporadic bubbles, Alma is flaring her stripes, I release them together AND...nothing. Absolutely nothing. They're acting like best friends. Sigh. Imma wait though, give it a few days and maybe something will happen. If not, I'm just going to have to find Jazz another female.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #27 
Punki

Aw, well hopefully she makes a wrong move and he nips her to put her in her place and things get going soon! If it doesnt work out id seperate them from any other betta mass feed them mosquito larvae if you have it, then re-introduce. Mine started spawning at 82 degrees 24 hours after releasing her, but my male showed his dominance right away.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #28 
NCPanthersgurl

Yeah see mine's not aggressive basically at all...he flares occasionally, but basically never, and even when she follows him everywhere he just moves around her or pretends she's not there. I feel like I may need another male to make this happen. *sigh* I want Jazz babies but I feel like he's maybe not the fathering type. I guess I just have to wait and see. Meanwhile she's all plump with eggs. >.<
Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #29 
Punki

When electra was ready she would swim up and rub against oldman trying to get him to wrap, he didnt feel like his bubblenest was up to par so he would scare her off, but maybe your girl will get impatient and nudge him. I hope so! :D
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #30 
NCPanthersgurl

I hope so too! She's round and striped and is trying but he's just not interested. I can't get any form of aggression from him, even when I try to instigate by dropping food between them. Nothing. I'm thinking about buying her a new male tomorrow if there's no improvement by the time I run to Petco...

Tags
babies, betta, log, spawn