Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #1 
fozziethebetta

Question Confused about feeding !

I am a bit confused about feeding Fozzie. He seems hungry all the time, chases the bubbles in his tank and tries to eat them. I feed him about 4 little tablets every morning. should I be feeding him more? Maybe I should feed him twice a day??
fozziethebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #2 
Hisaki Yuki001

Some Bettas are known to be picky eaters sometimes. You could try feeding him twice a day like you asked. I would suggest trying to switch to different foods to see what he prefers, Pellets, flakes, Live Brine Shrimp and other live foods. You can also try feeding frozen or freeze-dried foods as well. If he refuses all of the above, it may be a sign of illness. If that happens repost asap.
Hisaki Yuki001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #3 
fozziethebetta

He is eating okay...he is quick to eat the 4 pellets I am giving him every morning. Should I be feeding him more?
Old 07-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #4 
fleetfish

Four is a good number. If you feed more than four at a time there's the risk he could get bloated. Also, fasting - not giving him any food - for one day of the week is a good idea. It clears out their system and gives their tummies a rest. :)
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #5 
Hisaki Yuki001

I also forgot to add that you only need to feed him the amount of food that could fit into his eye at each feeding. This is because that's about the size of their stomach. All of my Bettas would eat a lot more than that if allowed, but overfeeding can lead to health problems, like Swim Bladder Disorder, bloating and problems with water quality that can cause other illnesses. If he seems hungry after eating the right amount of food, he's ok. He will not starve to death or anything like that, he may just be a little piggy...^_^

Also, what fleetfish said.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #6 
fozziethebetta

THank you very much!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #7 
Hisaki Yuki001

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozziethebetta View Post
He is eating okay...he is quick to eat the 4 pellets I am giving him every morning. Should I be feeding him more?
Once a day is plenty, but you could feed him twice a day if you wanted. It won't hurt him. I feed all my adult Bettas twice a day as well, once in the morning and once in the evening. I feed my new fry Itty Bitty 2-3 times a day, since she's got a lot of growing up to do.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

I like to feed my fish 1 pellet every few hours, for a total of 3 if I use my bigger pellets, or 4-5 if I use my micro pellets.

Try not to feed all at once. Try 2 in the morning, 2 at night.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote