Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #1 
MorganC2010

Reacurring Bloat...

Ok I posted a picture of my betta Tiberius on here a few days ago and myself and some friendly helpers determined he had a mild case of bloat. Well it appears that he is once again bloated. From the last time I have lowered his food intake from 2-3pellets in the morning and 2-3 bloodworms at night to 1-2 pellets in the morning and 1 small blood worm at night. I fasted him on friday and plan to do so every Friday from on. I am getting some daphnia tomorrow (hopefully), short story long, should I start some long turn treatment for him? Such as add a little Epsom salt every time I change his water or feed him daphnia every night or something? Please let me know what you guys think.

Oh and this is the second time he has had bloat in the past 2 weeks so maybe i'm overreacting and just don't have down a proper feeding routine yet. Let me know
MorganC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #2 
MorganC2010

oh sorry, here is the question forum...

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 1/2 ish gallon
What temperature is your tank? a consistent 80F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? freeze dried blood worms and TetraBetta Floating Mini Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 pellets in the morning and 1 bloodworm at night

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% and 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Start Right Complete Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? appers bloated
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I only gave 1 pellet this morning and no food tonight
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes, he had bloat recently, last Thursday actually, at least the little bugger is routine
How old is your fish (approximately)? umm, I've had him for 4ish weeks.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:53 AM   #3 
Sakura8

It won't hurt to put him in a bit of epsom salt, same dosage, one tsp per gallon. Also maybe try switching his pellets to a better brand that has less wheat germ. Good brands to consider are Omega Betta Buffet Pellets and New Life Spectrum Betta Formula. A little more costly, but worth it.

Has he pooed at all? One thing you can do to encourage him is hold up a mirror and let him flare for a few minutes. All the activity seems to stimulate their little system into going. It's weird, I know.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:05 AM   #4 
fightergirl2710

Yeah, they poo when they're mad lol! Is he acting bloated as well? Sometimes it just goes away on its own. Especially if the guy's acting as normal. You don't want him to depend on the epsom too much, it'll be like when humans use too many laxatives and then their systems get lazy and they can't do without it.. I'm not saying it might happen but its possible right?
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #5 
MorganC2010

Yeah, he is acting totaly normal. I will hold the mirrior up to his tank and let him flare up. And I can't tell if he has pooped because of the gravel, but there wasn't anything on the surface. I'd say he has tho because his stomach is half the size it was yesterday. It seems it is going away on it's own. I'm gonna get some daphnia to keep on hand anyway and I'll look at the food. Thanks for that tip, I never thought about it. Also I'll hold off on the epsom salt for now. Sorry this is a mess, I'm just about to walk out the door to go to the groc store and fish store, (hopes I don't come back with another, I need to get a bigger tank first) lol. Thanks so much tho!

ps. my mom loves the fish lol, she is cleaning up the kitchen chanting 'betta, betta, betta' yes, she is weird but I love her lol
Old 07-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #6 
fightergirl2710

Lol! She sounds fun!
Yeah, daphnia always helps, I give my guys daphnia once a week but because they hate anything but worms i have to dust the freeze dried variety over the worms -3-... Good luck at the store, be strong! lol!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like normal full tummy not Bloat......with bloat you will have other symptoms...like lethargy, hiding, clamped, stops eating and pooping, buoyancy issue to name a few......careful and don't over treat and starve the fish making things worse.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #8 
fightergirl2710

If you get worried easily about him not pooping, why don't you remove the gravel for awhile, so you can see the poop on the bottom and feel better. Once you get over the fear (of no poop), you can decide whether you want to put it back in or not. I would have probably done it for my satisfaction. :D
Old 07-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #9 
MorganC2010

Thanks so much for the advise. I am thinking it might just be what he looks like when he is full because he acts completely normal. I still searched for the daphnia just to keep on hand if i didn't use it, and absolutly NO ONE in my area carries it and a few looked at me like I was crazy. I even when to specialty fish store, and he was the one who thought I was crazy, really? this is what I'm dealing with?? I'm glad I have you guys lol. So I will have to order some online.

Oh and I was strong...my mother on the other hand.... We now welcome Eugene to the family. lol. I knew I had passed on the addiction. She got a crown tail, her favorite type now. Since she couldn't resist we bought a new 5 gallon kit/tank so now they both have plunty of room. One in a 2.5gallon and the other in the 5. She already picked out a 3 gallon tank she wants. Muahaha, the addiction had spread.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Congratulations on your new addition and also I'm glad that Tiberius is just full and not bloated. You can order freeze-dried daphnia from Foster and Smith Aquatics. They carry frozen too but it's a $24.95 shipping fee. Post pics of Eugene!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote