Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #1 
EM0280729

Unhappy fat fish

My little sister's betta fish is weird.! He seems bloated or fat i read that feeding it peas will work but my question is how long do i feed him peas.??
EM0280729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:38 PM   #2 
MorganC2010

It does sound like bloat. I wouldn't give him anything to eat for at least 24hours. If it doesn't go away there is this food called daphnia i think, that is made for fish and it helps with bloating. Also I heard plan unscented Epsom salts help. I think it is like 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. But please check around the forums some and look for other people that have posted this problem and look at some other feedback. I am not as experienced as some when it comes to betta.
MorganC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Before you try peas, try epsom salt first. Mix up one gallon of water and one teaspoon of epsom salt, letting the salt dissolve first. Put him into a small cup or container (the cup he came in from the pet store works great, so do disposable Gladware containers) and fill it with the epsom salt water. You can float him in his tank to keep him warm if you want. Change the water every single day, redoing the salt mixture each day, for five days. If he has not gone down in size, increase the epsom salt to two tsp per gallon and continue treatment for another five days. If he still hasn't gone down or passed waste, then post back and we'll talk other treatment like peas. If at any time during the treatment, he gets worse, post immediately.

Hope this helps.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #4 
EM0280729

Thank you so much.! I will do the salt treatment and we'll see how it goes.. once again thank you both:)
Old 07-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #5 
Sakura8

You're welcome. Good luck and I hope your sister's betta gets better quickly!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

What other signs and symptoms is the fish showing.....also can you fill out the information in the sticky on tank stats at the top of this section...copy and paste.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #7 
EM0280729

One other question.. do i feed the fish while I'm treating him with the salt water? What do i feed him?
Old 07-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

If you will complete the sticky with the tank stats and give signs and symptoms we can help you better.....its hard to base a treatment on the limited information provided...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote