Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #11 
Sakura8

Okay, first of all, despite what they said at the pet store, Bettafix actually isn't good for bettas. It contains tea tree oil which can harm a betta's labyrinth organ, which they use to breathe from the surface.

Secondly, how long ago were the tetras and other fish introduced? It's always a good idea to quarantine new fish for at least a week to wait and see if they develop any illnesses.

Okay, treatment. Looks like Nuggest has some fin rot all right and he's a bit bloated (did he just kill the tetras or did he eat a bit of them too? I know, very gross question, sorry about that). I'm worried he has a bacterial infection going on but I don't think he caught it from the tetras. He looks a little bloated in the "before" pics too. How long was he in his betta cube and how often did you change the water while he was in there? I am concerned that he caught his bacterial infection from poor water quality while in the betta cube. :/

I would suggest floating him in a small container in the 10g to keep him warm (I assume the 10g is heated). In the meanwhile, if it's possible, you may want to run to the pet store and see if they have these two things: Jungle Labs Anti-Bacterial Medicated Pellets and API General Cure. If Nugget will eat, start him on the pellets. If he won't, start him on the General Cure.

For his breathing, you may want to lower the water level in his container to just about an inch so he can easily reach the surface to breathe. Make sure the water he is in is kept as clean as possible. Do you use water conditioner when you do water changes? If so, what kind? Does it detoxify heavy metals? If not, use API Stress Coat as your water conditioner.

I'm sorry I can't offer much more advice. I just hope we're not too late. :( Hang in there, Nugget!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #12 
Tisia

how long was he in the 10 gallon before you added the tetras? did you cycle the tank beforehand? if it wasn't cycled the extra bioload of the tetras could have caused an ammonia spike
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #13 
Sakura8

The 18 fish in there are small and can probably all live in the 10g just fine IF you do extra water changes. Since they are all schooling fish they won't mind closer quarters. But having all those schooling fish PLUS Nugget isn't a good idea. You may want to get him his own 5g.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #14 
fightergirl2710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
The 18 fish in there are small and can probably all live in the 10g just fine IF you do extra water changes. Since they are all schooling fish they won't mind closer quarters. But having all those schooling fish PLUS Nugget isn't a good idea. You may want to get him his own 5g.
Totally agree, even though people keep bettas with community fish, it can be very stressful for them. That weakens their immune system to a great extent :(..
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #15 
Smashy2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
woah wait. 18 fish in your 10 gal!? O__O That's a bit much...
Ummm ok, can you float his .5 tank in the 10 gal? or better yet- do you have a tupperware thing you can float in there? That way his water will be warm. :)
I dunno if a vet would have it.. :/ I've never been to a vet for fish before xD
You don't wanna put direct light on him- it may stress him more.

I didnt intentionally have 18 fish in the 10 gal when 2 of my neons died it was only 1 day so I took them back and they gave me 2 new ones.. i was upset they died but got replacements (not meaning to sound bad) when they gave them to me there was a forktale rainbow in the bag i told them but they told me to take it anyway so i had 5 neons and 5 guppies which was my intention, but there was also one lonely little fish and so i went to get more so he didnt isolate himself and die.. im not heartless and again when i got fish there were 2 more in the bag that they couldnt be bothered to take out so i ended up taking home 7 that day rather than 5 so i ended up with 5 guppies 5 neons and 8 forktails they all seem happy in the tank together

as for nugget I did a 100% water change rinsed out all the bettafix and took the water from the big tank so he would have water that was already clean and at the right tempurature, I'll look into getting those salts to see if I can help him he doesnt tilt sideways anymore and I tried feeding him a pea to see if I can get him to have a bowel movement he didnt seem very interested in it but he is moving alot more than he was hes still gasping a bit but he has drastically improved since I took him out of the bettafix water last night with 50% change then a 100% change today
Smashy2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #16 
Smashy2019

Nugget was in the 10g about a week before i got the tetras in the betta cube i changed the water 1-2 times a week depending on how the water looked and how he was acting
Old 07-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #17 
fightergirl2710

Ok, changing water one or two times a week is too less for a tank that size. You need to do atleast a complete water change every other day or even better would be everyday for .5gal. This could be the cause of your betta getting sick..
The other thing is, even the ten guppies and neons are too much for a ten gallon... Neons grow to atleast an inch and guppies reproduce like crazy so you definitely need a bigger tank for them or give some fish away regardless of Nugget being in there. I still think Nuggets should get his own 2.5-5 g tank though...
Old 07-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #18 
Smashy2019

Unhappy Hes gone :(

Thanks for your help everyone but hes gone :'( I came home on my lunch break at lunch and he was already gone :( i'm so sad I feel like I failed him turns out i'm really not ok when I lose a fish
Old 07-16-2011, 02:00 AM   #19 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry to hear you lost him, Smashy. :( Don't give up on fish, though. You didn't fail him, you did everything you could and I'm sure he was very happy with you. Bad things sometimes happen to good fish owners. We all go through it at some point.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:34 AM   #20 
fightergirl2710

Sorry Smashy, it was too late I guess... Sometimes it's fate, you can't change it no matter what you do, so don't be too hard on yourself, ok?

Tags
bettafix, bloated, disease, floating, gasping