Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #1 
Devotion

How do you choose??!

So, for anyone who saw my first post Im considering getting a betta. Ive been looking at pictures here, at auctions on aquabid and various other sites and I just dont know how to choose between the wonderful variety of fins and colours out there!

I was so set on being good and just getting a 4-5 gallon tank and one betta but ive seen so many I like it makes me wanna go bigger and divide...

I looked in the wonderful sticky here and saw all the colours but ive also seen others not listed there, is there a more extensive list somewhere of colours?

I found this boy listed on aquabid :

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...sct&1311200677

Is 'Black Devil' an official name/colour combo? (I may try and order one from a British supplier once I have settled on a tank and gotten it set up)
Devotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #2 
elijahfeathers

Honestly, there are some colors with names that are really fantastic, but that you can find with some ease. (for example, I find mustard gas bettas in walmarts, of all places). If you look around for a named type of color locally, you'll prolly find it. I'd save the aquabid stuff for the more unusual types you don't normally see in fihs stores. (Think like fancy 'koi' colors)
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #3 
nel3

damn, that betta looks diabolic :). id get it if i had the room for a tank, unfortunately its not viable atm for me.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #4 
masshiimarro

ooo, black orchid, right? looks fantastic. usually those names are just the names of the strains of their line or color the breeder gives. they arent actually an official name, since there are so many other variations out there as opposed to the 'official' colors, breeders usually just come up with something of their own.
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #5 
Kytkattin

Honestly, I just chose what grabbed me when I went to the store. Originally I was in the market for a pure white betta (later to be accompanied by a pure black betta), but I ended up with Smaug instead (see avi). Something about his personality really drew me to him. It has been almost 2 years and no regrets since!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

I'd go to local petstores first, see them in action be prepared you might be a little heartbroken at the cups but what I do is look. See who calls out to me.

If they react like a healthy betta (IE: Ramming against the cup, flaring at their neighbores, bubblenests.) And won't let me put the cup down without feeling regretful I bring them home. That's how at least Akira and Kai got me.

Maka...I felt so drawn to her but even though I lost her I regret nothing.

I adore crowntails though! I used to be an HM fanatic but fell for CT's. I like veils too but I like unusual looks.

EDIT: Just saw that CT...DAMN! That is a GORGEOUS fish! He's like...A piece of art!

Last edited by Arashi Takamine; 07-15-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #7 
Tisia

I'll try to tell myself that I want a certain color/tail type and then I go into the store and it goes completely out the window, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #8 
masshiimarro

^ +1 lol it never works. All of mine were random buys, even tho i had a planned color/tail already. Somehow its the other ones that catch ur eye in the store. XD
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:23 AM   #9 
Pitluvs

Stay Away From Aquabid!!! I won't even go near there anymore! haha

Every single fish on there looks amazing compared to the plain old veil tails in our pet stores, but I try to limit my colors/pattern/fins until I am experienced with Bettas lol

Those places are the devil, aquabid be gone!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:50 AM   #10 
Devotion

Haha! Thanks guys! Yes, that CT i linked is all kinds of awesomeness, Im gutted I dont have a tank set up already!

To be honest all I ever see in the stores local to me is blue veil tails, they never seem to stock anything else. Im also in Britain, so no betta's in cups here cos very few places sell them, hence why im looking at ordering something.
Devotion is offline   Reply With Quote