Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #1 
cajunamy
Banned

was worried about this :(

about gumbo being a daddy that is (the fish in my av)... he never did build nests, but a couple of times.

i conditioned for 2 weeks on quality foods (no live though, i don't have any available except fry size) and daily water changes yadda yadda... ya know the right way to do it...

it's still way early in the game, i just released the female after about 30 hours, she is light bodied so i can't see bars or what not ... he has no nest and no intrest in her really. he's rubbed against her a couple times and flared a couple times but there is nothing going on besides that.

hopefully he'll get it... it is his first time, and hers too...

eta: she seems to get it - definitely showing submisseviness around him. clamped fins and head down. he just flared and nipped her, but doesn't seem to want to get to the nest yet. yeah, i know, i'm impatient! lol

Last edited by cajunamy; 07-15-2011 at 02:32 PM.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #2 
TheBlueBettaFish

Sometimes, you just have to give up and start with a new pair or new girl.

Wish you the best of luck!
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #3 
regalesse

good luck. I am hoping to spawn this weekend too. they are still seperate and they can see each other but she is not clamping fins or assuming the head down submissive position. my male blows the biggest bubblenests but he has not blown one in this tank yet. maybe he will soon.
regalesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #4 
Nymmers

Hopefully an expert will come along. But, what's your temperature? Do you have him in a spawning tank or his own tank?

I know some people try 'making it rain', you could add some tannins to the water, I've also read a couple people will put them in a smaller container than what they're used to, or vice versa then when they get in the spawn tank they're realy interested. ^^ It may take him a few times, it'll work I'm sure!
Nymmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #5 
cajunamy
Banned

spawning tank, tannins, temp 82, in a bigger tank than he's used to. i am doing all the right things but man, he needs to get on with it! lol i will leave them up to a week if no one is getting too beat up, and try conditioning again if nothing happens. i'll have to look into some live foods for them ...
Old 07-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #6 
cajunamy
Banned

btw nymmers - the girl looks just like the one in your av lol
Old 07-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #7 
HD4life

One of my recent spawns the male didn't build a nest at all until the started embracing. He would gather the eggs and blow just enough bubbles for them until the next batch he caught. I had another spawn were the female took charge if you will and pushed him around until he got the point lol
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

How long were they conditioned?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote