Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #1 
fungambler

Lethargic betta

It was suggested I try and post pix of my betta. He is not swimming around much anymore. He completely rests on top of his tunnel all day long, or in his plant. He is still eating 5-6 pellets a day. I feed him flake food about once a week. He has something hanging down in between his front fins. It's a little brown thing. Should I pull it off? Or what should I do?

He is in a 2 1/2 gallon unfiltered tank at 78-79 degrees. Don't know the water paramaters. Have been doing 50% water changes with epsom salts since Monday or Tuesday. Hope you can view the pictures and help.
Attached Images

fungambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

The brown thing between the ventral fins is most likely poop...don't pull it off...its best if you don't touch the fish unless needed since that can damage the slime coat.....

I can't tell much by the pic......but is he hanging tail down-nose up....if so-lower the water level and be sure and cover the top with plastic veggie wrap...are you pre-mixing the Epsom salt in a 1gal jug for the partial water changes.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #3 
fungambler

Yes and the dechlorinator. He's not really horizontal, but when he is away from the tunnel, he is like that, tail down nose up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
The brown thing between the ventral fins is most likely poop...don't pull it off...its best if you don't touch the fish unless needed since that can damage the slime coat.....

I can't tell much by the pic......but is he hanging tail down-nose up....if so-lower the water level and be sure and cover the top with plastic veggie wrap...are you pre-mixing the Epsom salt in a 1gal jug for the partial water changes.....
Old 07-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #4 
Sakura8

How is he today?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #5 
fungambler

Much much worse. The epsom salts are NOT working! He is still eating, but the lump on his side is bigger and he struggles to just move. All he does is stay on top of his tunnel without moving. Would tetracycline help because I have some?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
How is he today?
Old 07-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Is it a big lump only or is he bloating completely? I'm worried that if it's just a lump on one side that he may have a tumor there. It COULD also be a bacterial infection in one kidney only, although I don't think that happens often. Usually bacterial infections affect the whole system. Either way, tetracycline works against bacterial infections so if you would like, you can try it and see if it helps him. I certainly hope it does. Poor guy, he sounds uncomfortable. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote