Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #1 
nunuchan

Anyone ever raised brine shrimp a betta treat?

I've been considering buying a sea monkey kit so I can feed my future betta live brine shrimp. Anyone ever try this/know any reason why this wouldn't be a good idea?

I mean, for the most part you condition the water, drop the eggs in and watch them grow. I would even go as far as to say that it would typically be safe to just drop the eggs directly in the tank. They could grow to a size that a betta would notice them and finally eat them.... I think.

Please, comments, suggestions, warnings, rants.... :)
nunuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Brine shrimp need salt water to hatch and to grow them to a size large enough for adult Bettas to eat for more than a snack....can be difficult and expensive to culture to adult stage....you do have fairy shrimp that are fresh water version of the brine shrimp....but the eggs are a bit pricy for what you get and they are small too.....I got some not long ago...easy enough to hatch but they need a dry out period to reproduce....so my plan in having them in my tank for non-stop reproduction for fry food....well...didn't work out......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #3 
nunuchan

Lucky for me, there is a fairy shrimp farm close to home! I wonder how a shrimp that can't survive 80F+ water can survive the Arizona summers >,<

(SILLY QUESTION ALERT: In your experience, has a betta ever gone after live food as if it were a hunt?)
Old 07-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #4 
laughing

I tried raising brine shrimp once and it is a lot more work than what expected. Just when they got big enough to see, I knocked their whole container off the counter. >_>

I live in Arizona and the temps didn't affect them.

Yes, they do 'hunt'. I feed live fruit flies and they will stalk them and then do a big dramatic 'great white sharks jump to eat them and flip out of the water. Now that they've learned, they do it for pellets, too! LOL!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #5 
nunuchan

Awww! How adorable!!!! Do you catch or buy the fruit flies?
Old 07-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #6 
betta dude

i live in utah i can go to the great salt lake and catch some
betta dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #7 
laughing

I bought them, and I found the few that got out were reproducing in my apartment >_> my apartment doesn't get good A/C so its usually 90*+ in here, so it just shows you they can live very well in this weather!

I will have to buy more soon. I feed them pellets, bloodworms, and live fruit flies. They love it :)
Old 07-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #8 
nunuchan

How does it go? Do you put the fruit fly in the water or under the hood?
Old 07-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #9 
nunuchan

(I don't actually know what a fruit fly is, or the size. I'm only used to the bigger kind that you find circling garbage pails >,< The internet has not been kind to me this time. I can't find anything on their size!)
Old 07-17-2011, 12:55 AM   #10 
laughing

They're very small, nothing like a normal sized fly. You just open the lid, quickly shut it, and shake it into the water. Of course, some do tend to get loose. But they normally stay on the water, I keep the hood on just in case. You can see the movement on the water, and they'll detect it. My Julep was scared of them at first, but Kaida was all into it from the start and ate them like her life depended on it! ;)

PetCo sells them, too. It's by their bettas. "Betta Bugs" are what they're called, I believe.