Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #1 
briser

Unhappy Have to recycle my tank :'(

I could actually cry right now because I don't want to have to go through the whole cycling process again.

I had a major algae bloom, and I mean major.. you couldnt even see inside the tank it was so bad.. it was covering everything and even when I attempted to clean it it was back in a day.. So I had to take down my whole set-up and spent 2 hours washing everything off and trying to get rid of all the algae then I had to set everything back up again.. the filter media was destroyed.. there was so much algae on it I couldn't even get it off so I just threw it all in the garbage and put new stuff in.

Just waiting for the water to warm up so I can put my boys back in. :(
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Im sorry. Thats frustrating, I know how you feel. I have to re-cycle my two tanks every 3 months or so because of college :c (Granted, Im good at it now, but its a pain!)

Consider investing, if you dont have them already, some live stemmed plants. They really do help cycle the tank, as well as keep the params in check. Many plants also deprive the tank of the nutrients and nitites algae require to grow, so you wont need to worry about that again.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #3 
Ianthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Im sorry. Thats frustrating, I know how you feel. I have to re-cycle my two tanks every 3 months or so because of college :c (Granted, Im good at it now, but its a pain!)

Consider investing, if you dont have them already, some live stemmed plants. They really do help cycle the tank, as well as keep the params in check. Many plants also deprive the tank of the nutrients and nitites algae require to grow, so you wont need to worry about that again.

Could you tell me which plants are best at algae control? Our ten gallon has an almost chronic problem with horrible algae. Ne matter what I try to do , including most recently really restricting the light, it gets BAD algae. I have no choice but to totally clean it out every few months....such a pain!!
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Hmmm...I'd have to research a little for you :) I'll look for them!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Well, these are the first that pop into mind and are easier to find:

Hornwort: This is a messy plant. It drops its nettles all the time until it gets used to your tank. Suck them up within a few days and you'll be fine, though. Cheap and abundant, this stuff just grows and grows for you. Sucks up so much from the water, algae cant have anything to eat!

(Cabomba works well, too, but its whiney and likes temps that your betta isnt a fan of..too cold. Try it if you cant find hornwort, though)

Water sprite will probably help your issue. It likes to float, but is kind of a wuss and hates big tank changes- so be kind to it and dont shock it!

Anacharis will help much like hornwort, but hornwort's still the best so far on the list ;D However, anacharis isnt dirty like hornwort and is honestly a bit prettier.

Duck weed (the small, floating little lily pads) keep nitrates down, helping keep algae at bay.

Essentially, and plant that feeds from the water column (usually stem plants) will help your tank out.

Keep up with water changes along with these and itll probably help you out... Also, consider your lighting... If youre using incandescent bulbs (the yellowy ones), In my experience, they promote algae growth...Opt for florescent bulbs, instead- keeping on in the 10hr range for light-loving plants :)
Old 07-16-2011, 12:54 AM   #6 
Shaon

You can try some algae eating critters depending on your tank size? But I agree with Pew^3; those plants are great for algae control and they look great too :)

EDIT: AGH, I was using the search function to check out some cycling info and forgot that some of the threads are ancient >.< Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead

Last edited by Shaon; 07-16-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Shaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:59 AM   #7 
Pitluvs

Crap, old post!

Last edited by Pitluvs; 07-16-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote