My little betta's tummy has been bloated for the past two weeks. I've stopped feeding him and have given him half a blanched pea each week, thinking it was constipation.
Well his tummy is getting bigger. When he's up against light I can see how opaque the bulge is, it is very light in color and there are no dark splotches. I think it's a bacterial infection.
He's very active and can swim just fine right now, though he does tremble.
He's in a 2.5 gal heated but unfiltered tank, normal parameters (except from a slightly high pH, which he's had his whole life), with weekly 25-50% water changes and 100% once a month, though I've been giving him 100% every few days lately.
Sounds like a bacterial infection at this point. If he's eating, try to treat him with Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite Medicated Pellets. If he's not eating, treat him with Maracyn II and/or General Cure. I hope he gets better.
Anti-Parasite. I know, it totally threw me off also but the person who recommended it to me said the medicine in the Anti-Parasite pellets, metrodinazole, is very effective against bacterial infections. Go figure. I hope it helps your guy, he looks uncomfortable all right.
Did it work for you? And I usually give Bruce two pellets a day, should I do the same for this? I read that I give it to him three consecutive days a week for four weeks. So should I give him his normal food during the other days (excluding fast day) even if he looks this big? Sorry for so many questions, I just want to do it right.
Thank you so, so much for your help. I hope it works. He's my college buddy. Just because I graduated doesn't mean he gets off the hook of being my buddy.
I haven't had a need to use them yet - she recommended them for a Wal-Mart rescue girl with severe dropsy; the poor thing was too far gone by the time I returned with meds. But the pellets have worked very well for the other people who did use them (provided their fish wasn't too far gone). The person who recommended this is a veterinary student so I trust her advice.
If what I read is correct, you feed only the medicated pellet. I'm actually going to the pet store to grab some in a little while, just to have on hand, so I'll let you know what the bottle says. Also, FYI, the pellets can be a little hard to find sometimes.
I'm glad to help. I hope your college buddy gets better soon. You are right, you graduated but he still has a job to do: being a betta buddy.
Bruce just started pineconing ever so slightly about an hour ago. So I ran out and got some epsom along with the food. The local Petsmart didn't have Jungle anti-parasite pellets (and doesn't carry any medicated food anymore), but the guy was surprisingly knowledgeable and super nice, and gave me a little baggie from their supply room since they use the Jungle anti-bacterial pellets on all their fish. Showed me their label, told me how to use it, and everything. So nice.
So I put in the epsom salts and gave him some food. He wanted two pieces so badly but could only fit one. But he's ravenous, so that's really good. And he's still able to swim all over the place easily.
I'm sorry your boy isn't doing so well. You're off to a good start though thanks to Sakura! Feed him the pellets. Though the directions sometimes tell you to only feed it to them a few days per week, offer him at least one pellet per day. You can crush them up to make them bite size. It was really nice of the petstore person to give you those! If you can, get Maracyn II as well. It is really effective for treating the early signs of Dropsy. Use 2tsp/gal Epsom Salt and daily 100% water changes (it helps to QT them for this). If you can raise the temp to 82-84*F that also helps.
If you are able to get Maracyn, which I HIGHLY advise you to do, make sure you get Maracyn II (containing Minocycline) not Maracyn-oxy or Maracyn.
Thank you both so much for your advice. Seriously, I want to send you cookies or something.
I got the Maracyn II and put it in last night. He also has 2 tsp/gallon of epsom in there. Also, he's hungry (really, really hungry) but apparently thinks the anti-bacterial stuff tastes like crap. He is still moving around a good bit, but chills out at the bottom more than yesterday (despite having one of those big leaves to rest on closer to the surface). I also turned up the temp a little last night.
I guess it's just keep on doing 100% water changes and treating him at this point, right? Fingers crossed!