Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #31 
devo7x

Oh man, you saying he knows I love him just made me cry a little more.

I've been checkin on him all day today (hurray for days off), and there are some good signs: his fins aren't clamped, he can support himself, AND he totally just flared at me. Something he hasn't done in days.

I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'm not giving up on Master Bruce yet.
devo7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #32 
Sakura8

I'm so glad he was flaring. See, he was mad at you for feeling like it was your fault. He's trying to remind you that without your care, he would have died a long time ago. So don't give up, give him every chance he can get. You're still treating him with Maracyn, right?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #33 
devo7x

Yeah, double dose. And the epsom, and the pellets soaked in garlic (when he eats them). Maybe he'll try for one today. I mean, he's freaking huge, so I doubt he'll pull through. Every case of dropsy seems like a death sentence.

I really miss seeing him dart around at nothing. He does the cutest thing when I stick my finger in the water. He'll swim away from it and then turn around really quickly and flare at me, like a sneak attack. I know I'll probably never see him do that again, which kinda kills me.

But anything's possible, right?

Thank you for all your help by the way. He would not have lasted this long without you, that's for sure.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #34 
Sakura8

You're welcome, I'm glad I could help. I just wish I knew some magic trick that would shrink Bruce automatically. I hope he pulls through, you just never know for sure. I don't know if you've seen this thread http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=74273
but the fish here has had dropsy for at least a couple of weeks now. It ain't over till it's over.

The thing I love most about bettas over all other fish is their individual personalities, how they all do such funny little things that no other betta does. Unfortunately, it's those personalities that makes losing them far more devastating than losing a fish like a guppy that isn't all that attached to you. :/

Bruce sounds like a little ninja betta with his "sneak attacks." If he's flaring at you, then he's still got some fight left.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #35 
devo7x

I wish I knew one too.

And I have seen that thread! It gives me hope! Because you're entirely right, their individual little quirks make losing them just as bad as larger pets, like a cat or a bird. At least in my opinion. You just get attached to something with a personality.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #36 
Sakura8

Yuppers. I mean, I hate finding any of my fish dead but my guppies don't even know I'm there so there's no emotional attachment like with my bettas.

But Bruce is still hanging in there so that's good. Maybe it's just taken the Maracyn this long to start working? Who knows.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:37 AM   #37 
devo7x

Well he passed last night before I could get any clove oil (absolutely nowhere had it). I hope it wasn't as painful as I think it was.

He was such a happy little fish. I hope he feels better now. I miss him so much.

Thank you for all of your help. You're truly amazing, you know that?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #38 
Sakura8

:( I'm so sorry you lost him. *big hug* I really hoped he would get better but just like humans, some illnesses can't be treated. And fish don't feel pain in the same way as humans do anyway so I don't think he was in any pain. I'm sorry you lost him but now you can take comfort knowing he is at peace. I know he was aware that you loved him and cared for him. He wouldn't want you to feel like it was your fault so don't even think that. Sometimes bad things happen to good fish owners for no reason at all.

I'm glad I could be of help to you, I'm just so sorry we couldn't save him. And thank you for the compliment. *blush* Please feel free to PM me if you need to talk about anything, okay? *hugs again*