Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #1 
AmandaGraham

Bettas from Petsmart/Petco?

Hi guys, I'm new here.

After a lot of research and learning a lot of new things, I've decided I want to house Bettas. I had a wonderful marble male with the typical fin thingy years ago. I didn't know they needed so much care, and he was in a vase with some goldfish companions. I now know that cannot happen again.

I found a place that sells BEAUTIFUL Bettas, all fin types and colors.. But she sells them for $20 a piece. Though I am interested, I don't want to pay that much for a fish.. Unless he's absolutely perfect.

Anyways, I was thinking of starting a sorority of females. What does everyone think of the fish from petsmart/petco? I don't plan on breeding anything yet. I don't want to have individual cups for all those babies.

What do you all think?
AmandaGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:05 AM   #2 
Abby

hey manda :) psmart/petco end o have a lot of ill kept? im not sure if thats the right word to use as im in australia we dont have these stores. the lady selling them for $20 may be good to look at as she may import them check out aquabid.com and there is decent ( *giggle*) fish but the site is quite additive. personally i havent shopped on AB cause id never have money.

just look for bright active healthy fish with as little fin damage as possible.

starting a sorority you should hold off on for a little while as the whole "if oe gets sick they are all at risk thing and yeh trust me its a pain in the a...rear.
i have 2 ales in one divided tank one males in quarantine 9 males in a dived up custom buit tank and sorority of 6 femes and 3 endler guppies..
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:16 AM   #3 
Pitluvs

I payed $80 for my second Betta.. I wouldn't advise spending a lot of money on your first 4 Bettas :( I lost my boy a few days after he got here.

Lots of us have pet store bettas :) I have Ben now. Since we're new to Betta, I looked for the liveliest betta with the most spunk in the store.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:12 AM   #4 
masshiimarro

welcome!
all of my fish were petstore bettas. you just have to have the patience to find the right one, and imo petco/petsmart has a pretty extensive inventory of bettas to choose from now XD. i got 2 from walmart, and one from petsmart. just find the one you like the most :) but make sure hes healthy. as a beginner, i wouldnt buy a sickly betta.

as for sororities, i would hold off on that. keep one or two males/females at first to understand bettas. i know you may have read a lot about them already.. but to have them in person brings your understanding of them to a higher level.. and trust me, sororities do need someone who truly understands each fish to keep it going right.
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:23 AM   #5 
Abby

my sorority works because 5/6 of the fish are all sisters from the same spawn (i brought straight from a breeder in sydney) and the last plus the guppies were introduced at once ive been lucky that they all get along.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:19 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

All 8 of my bettas have come from either PETCO or Walmart.
My experience is that unless the fish JUST came in, they arent going to be in prime shape. However that doesn't mean that the fish is gonna die in a few days.

These are my general guidelines when I look at bettas:

Active and responsive when I pick up the cup
No fungus like growths
No Salt like spots

NOTE: all my petco bettas had extreamly high ammonia levels and had ammonia burns. It took some time but all but one recovered

All my walmart fish had missing tail fins - two had bad fin rot and the female - I dont know what happened to her but her tail fin was GONE. It looked like it was cut off. This too has healed over the past month.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:43 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

Double posted :(
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #8 
fishman12

Thank you for doing reesearch... Petco generally has a better selection but Petsmart is supposed to be stocking dragons... Petsmart put Methelyne (spelled wrong most likely, it's a medication) blue in their water so it's hard to tell much of what's going on in the water with the blueness... Welcome to the forums and again thank you for researching.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #9 
Lion Mom

$20.00 for a quality betta is pretty reasonable, IMO. I DO understand your concern, however.

As for Petco/Petsmart - I think it depends on the store. Some are good, some not so much.

Good luck with whichever way you decide to go and WELCOME!!! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #10 
AmandaGraham

Thank you all for being so nice! I think I'm going to go to Petsmart in the next few days for some puppy stuff.I may bring home a Betta. :D When I do get one, I'll post tons of pics.
AmandaGraham is offline   Reply With Quote