Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2011, 01:32 AM   #1 
Smashy2019

Exclamation Betta help!!!!

HELP!!! My betta Nugget is acting strange, I'm new to owning fish, and he was my first fish, i've had him for roughly 4 months and he was always healthy, I bought him at pets unlimited and he was in a 0.5g tank for the longest time... here comes the interesting part where it totally shows i'm a fish noob... I decided that it might be good to get him a new tank the tank I bought was 10g and had a filter and a light, Nugget was quite happy in there until I decided maybe I could get some other fish to put in with him, I bought 5 neon tetras and 2 of them seemed weaker than the other 3 Nugget picked up on this and killed one so I removed him from the big tank for the night and had him in the little tank again the second neon tetra died that night, i'm wondering if them being sick is what caused Nugget to now be sick BUT when I first put him in his little tank he seemed fine, then last night I noticed that he was bloated and he couldnt keep straight in the bowl so I did some research and some people said it could be swim bladder disorder today I went back into the petstore and they gave me bettafix in case it was bacterial and said that this should help him as advised I put it in the tank and when I got home from work he looked even worse, his eye looks glazed over and hes now gasping, he can keep straight in the bowl now to some extent, but I'm so worried about him, when I got home and saw him gasping I did a 50% tank change with water from the bigger tank as it was already a good temperature and it was cleaned 2 days ago I figured maybe I put too much bettafix in the water he also has a little bit of fin rot and the betta fix seems to be making it come off it looks like theres little spores on the ends of his fins.... I know this is a long message but please any advise I don't want to lose him!!!
Smashy2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:07 AM   #2 
Smashy2019

Pictures

These are pictures of Nugget now, I took them at different angles so you really get a look at him.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2011, 02:52 AM   #3 
fightergirl2710

Is it me or does he look a bit bloated? I don't know how he looked before but I think the cloudy eyes and grey belly could be a bacterial infection. He may have contracted it due to the stress of being with the new fish or from them.. I've heard bettafix can be quite harmful to bettas so I wouldn't use it. For now I suggest keeping him in the smaller bowl at a stable temperature between 78-85 F. Do a 100% water change. Add 1 tsp of epsom salt to a bit of the water, dissolve completely and add to the half gallon bowl. Try to add some tannins to the water, make it really dark. You can use Indian Almond leaves but they're hard to find. Dry oak leaves, crushed and added to the water or decaf green tea with no additives will also help. Don't forget to acclimate him to the new water. I'm not confident enough to tell you what medication you should give him, I would suggest PMing Darkmoon17 to take a look. What I told you will keep him comfortable for a while and the epsom salt will help his eyes..
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #4 
Smashy2019

Video

This is a video of him, yes he is bloated and he seems to be having difficulty breathing this video is a better quality look at him and shows u how hes acting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpaKTzByffY
Old 07-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #5 
youlovegnats

For the bloat, feed him daphnia, and for the fin rot (which is from the bad water quality), add some Aquarium salt (1tsp/ gal). Keep his water at 78-80 F.
As fightergirl said, Epsom salt will help with the bloating as well. Don't feed him for a couple of days.

What size tank is he in now? Is it heated?
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #6 
Smashy2019

Exclamation This is him before

These are pictures of Nugget when he was first put in his big tank, he was happy and healthy and fluttered all around his tank, I just want my happy healthy fishy back :(
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #7 
Smashy2019

Right now he is in a 0.5g tank its just a marina betta kit tank, it isnt heated, but I put my lamp on the top of the tank to help him I thought about putting him in the bigger tank so he could keep warm while he was ill, but I have smaller fish that I would have to transfer out to do that at the moment theres 18 fish in my bigger tank 5 guppies, 5 neon tetras and 8 forktailed rainbows I don't have epsom salt or aquariam salt and am 40 minutes away from a petstore would a vet have it?
Old 07-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #8 
youlovegnats

woah wait. 18 fish in your 10 gal!? O__O That's a bit much...
Ummm ok, can you float his .5 tank in the 10 gal? or better yet- do you have a tupperware thing you can float in there? That way his water will be warm. :)
I dunno if a vet would have it.. :/ I've never been to a vet for fish before xD
You don't wanna put direct light on him- it may stress him more.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #9 
fightergirl2710

Epsom salt you can find at a pharmacy. Get one with no fragrance. And rock salt or kosher salt can be used for aquarium salt as a substitution. I don't recommend giving him any treatment with aq salt right now because it will just make him more bloated... Try covering the top of the bowl with clingfilm/ veggie wrap, punch a few holes in it. it will help him breathe and keep the humidity in his bowl up.
I think your 10 gallon maybe overstocked, overcrowding can also cause stress and disease in your fish. I would get a bigger tank for some of the fish or give some away... How is he doing now?
Old 07-15-2011, 09:12 AM   #10 
fightergirl2710

Lol! I'm slow!
Btw this is what happened to one of my girls, she wasn't lethargic but her symptoms were very similar. See if you can get some help from my experience with bacterial infection.. Darkmoon17 had given me suggestions about meds over there. It might give you some idea. Sadly, I had to put her down because she had gotten very bad but I hope your guy will survive.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73113

Edit: Ok I can see fuzzy cotton like stuff in the video on the fins. Is this actually there or trick of the light? Because then it might be some kind of fungus.

Last edited by fightergirl2710; 07-15-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Tags
bettafix, bloated, disease, floating, gasping