Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #1 
Jrf456

Why do you think this when it makes no sense.

Look, I LOVE bettas, I have 7 that are more like spoiled children than fish! I agree they need good space, and agree that the pet store cups are cruel but what I don't understand is how you think it helps so much to give one fish such a huge tank insisting they NEED 5g-10g. A huge tank may make a fish extremely happy, yes, but then again it also isn't really fair for other fish. For example, Rather than having maybe two 5g and a 10g and only being able to have 3 fish (according to some simple minded peoples standards) I can house 7 bettas each in 2.5 gallon bowls which are still roomy. Saving more fish from miserable pet store life, or having less in huge tanks.. It doesn't make sense.

For my case, I saved 7 fish who are alive and healthy in 2.5 bowls, rather than 2 or 3. My other fish would have died in months if I didn't do this.

Being in a spacious but not huge tank and living years healthy and happy > dying in months in a pet store cup.

So yeah.. If you disagree I'd love to hear your argument.
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #2 
DazedBetta

i agree that the tanks in the pet stores are way to small for bettas and i actually got 2 bettas atm and 4 tanks 1 2.5gal and 2 10 gal and 1 20gal and i have my male in the 10 gal cause at the time i got him there was some sale where it was 1$ a Gal and it only worked with 10 or more gal. so i got a 10 for him for him for 10bucks instead of the 2.5 which was like 11 or something it was just a little more figured might as well get the bigger one but id normally only house mine in a 2.5gal i feel like thats plenty of room for the size of my bettas but if you have king or big fish then i can understand why you would want a bigger tank but i got the 10gal for future breeding and the 20 for the growout and house mine in 2.5
DazedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:48 PM   #3 
HarlequinBBRM

I think it is also betta dependant as some fish do better in smaller containers vs large ones. I think the "need" for large tanks is an out for people who don't have the time to preform the neccessary maintenance that a 2.5 gallon tank requires. Say people only realistically have time for one or two water changes per week. In this case, a tank of 5-10 gallons would be easier to tank care of and maintain the optimum habitat for a betta, than say a 2.5 gallon that will need around 3 water changes per week.

Also, some fish just can't handle being in a small container, or even a large one. Personally, my betta Sebastian gets super stressed in anything other than his 5 gallon, but I have seen some fish that can't handle being in anything larger than a 2 gallon bowl.

And yes even though "saving" a betta from a pet store is a good thing, you have to also realise that you are also encouraging the inhumane treatment to continue, as they will stock the shelves again with more fish the next day.

All in all, it is all just a case of personal preferance, and not something to get into an argument over.

Last edited by HarlequinBBRM; 07-15-2011 at 10:55 PM.
HarlequinBBRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

I tend to agree more towards your view, but I also understand that it's not my fish or my tanks, or my time :)
Personally, I have 2 10g, a 5g and a 3g. If I could... I'd have 9 saved (not pet stores but taking in homeless bettas) babies in those tanks. BUT I have other pets, kids, and other tanks that need my attention and with Bettas being so touchy I couldn't handle it. Oh it I could thougH!!
I'd be more apt to divide large cycled tanks than to have 7 small 2g bowls though. I could never do that many water changes lol

Last edited by Pitluvs; 07-15-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:07 PM   #5 
Luimeril

i don't get it when people insist bettas need 5 or more gallons. x: minimum. my crew is fine in their tanks, with my smallest being Lulu's one gallon, and Purple's one gallon. with Lulu, she seems to have a fear of bigger spaces(even when they're planted up with silk plants), and Purple's been fine in his 1 gallon(as long as he has his boat-cave, he's happy). other than those two, i try to get them the biggest tank i can, most often being a 2 gallon Kritter Keeper. it's alot of space, but not too much, and i can plant it up with silk plants, and they seem happy with it. bigger IS better(well... not with Lulu...), though, so i try to get them as big a tank as i can.

my latest betta(my walmart's VERY LAST betta, King Steve), went from the tank i now have Purple in, to a 10 gallon, and he's SUPER happy.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #6 
betta dude

betta homes at the pet store are way to small oh yeah i have been meaning to tell you pitluvs the backround of your avatar looks like an explosion but i know it isnt i like it
betta dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:10 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

Ya when I got my first betta and put him in the 5g, I was warned that some bettas actually do poorly in 5g or larger tanks. Venom LOVED his 5gal, was ok when it was divided. Carnage HATED 2.5g... he was happier in 1g. Ben loves his 3g but he's never had anything else but a cup and he was new at the pet store.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:10 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta dude View Post
betta homes at the pet store are way to small oh yeah i have been meaning to tell you pitluvs the backround of your avatar looks like an explosion but i know it isnt i like it
Ya, venom was a trouble maker bahaha Always found matches in the filter.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #9 
Kytkattin

I don't think that bettas NEED 5-10 gallons, but for someone who only wants one or two and a lot less maintenance, a larger tank is fun to decorate and easier to take care of. Also, 5-10 gallons gives you options to add other types of fish. A perfect mini-community for the beginning fish enthusiast!

Another argument for a larger tank is that (some) bettas that have more room to move around are more likely to exercise more. If you have a tank or 2 for relaxation, it is nice to be able to see them swim around unhindered.

I don't really think that I would intentionally try to just cram in as many fish as I could because I was trying to rescue them from petstores. They will just replace them with more that I can't give a good home to. For every 1 I buy, there are probably 10 that will die at that store. I have what I enjoy, and I leave it at that.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Remember the cup Bettas are kept in at the pet shop are intended to be a temporary home....not long term housing...this is for resale only....just like all the other fish in the pet shop.....look at how over crowded they are.....the pet shop setup are for display for resale......

Lots of ways to keep fish in general- you need to meet basic needs and requirements...

Fish can be neglected in large tanks just as they can be neglected in small tanks......it just take longer for water quality to decline........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote