Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #1 
Oldfishlady

Exclamation Mycobacterium marinum "PLEASE READ"

I have seen a couple of posts in regards to the young lady that contracted a very RARE pathogen from her aquarium......FISH TB or Mycobacterium marinum.........

Don't freak out folks.....it is rare to catch anything from your tank......however, it can happen and a good idea and habit to wash hands before and after handling/working with your tank/fish and even touching fish food.......and yet another reason you don't want to abuse, misuse, overuse antibiotics in both your aquarium and you...due to resistant issues and creation of super bugs...... and if you ever suspect fish TB in your tank....destroy the fish and depose of the body properly...don't treat or try to save it.......and clean everything well with bleach wearing gloves.....

Don't be afraid of your tank and fish.......

Knowledge is POWER.......research..........

Here is a great link...Please read......

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...er_FishTB.html

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1105126-overview

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-23-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #2 
kathstew

So question. It says that in humans it starts off as a purple lesion. Do the lesions only start to appear in the area of the body that was touched by the water, or can it appear on any part of the body? Like if only my hands go in the water, could somehow, the lesions appear on say, my legs?
From the lady (the one near the body) it sounds like it CAN spread, but doesn't right away. She seemed to have a cut on the finger that became affected ONLY. But was slowly spreading down into her hand.
Is this correct?
Just curious, I apologize for asking if you don't know.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:06 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

The strain fish get is different than in humans...
You wont get lesions, though I think it can cause irritation and itching...

Thanks, ofl, for this post.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #4 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Thank you for posting this OFL... I'd been thinking on writing a post on the subject for a couple of months, but didn't want to scare everyone half to death...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #5 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

I remember a member on the forum had a beautiful yellow, blue and white betta... it looked to be an import, just a gorgeous fish. She couldn't get it to eat; at one point she tried to give it away, it the hopes that one of us could help the betta.

Before that betta passed away from unknown causes. Since then, I have read about Mycobacterium marinum, I've wondered if that betta might have had it...
Old 06-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #6 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Fishy Fishy Fishy View Post
Before that betta passed away from unknown causes.
Before that HAPPENED, THE betta passed away...
Old 06-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #7 
Arashi Takamine

I thought fish TB could only be brought upon like if you didn't wash your hands and clean off cuts after handling your tank. I have some open cuts on my hands but I use hot water and clean them off with peroxide if I have to stick my hands in my tank if their bad. If their not and it's only for a moment (like during waterchanges) I'll just use hot water and soap.

EDIT: Oh god now I'm worried. Kai from swimming into the mouth of his dragon decor rubbed off a couple of his scales. (There's a light red patch on him near his dorsal fin.) He doesn't look like he's deformed though. He looks like your normal CT betta....

Last edited by Arashi Takamine; 06-23-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #8 
Silverfang

I'm pretty sure you'd have to be sick or immunocomprimised to have tb jump the species barrier. I was speaking to my friend who informed me that while some diseases do jump the species barrier, it's usually fish to fish or mammal to mammal.
Not saying it couldn't happen of course, but as long as a person is in good health, they should be ok.
And of course, as OFL said, be careful and wash your hands after, or wear gloves.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #9 
Arashi Takamine

I don't think I have anything to worry about then. Kai's rubbed some of his scales off from his dragon decoration and going into it's mouth but he's fine other then that. No skinnyness or deformed spine. Plus I have an ultra aggressive immune system. (Alopecia Areata disorder. Aggressive immune system. I rarly get sick.)
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

This pathogen is not species specific per se'......simply put.....for the hobbyist....it will appear usually on the hand/arm that had an opening in the skin.... the entry...first the pathogen has to be in the tank...fish tb....generally, if the hobbyist is immune suppressed/compromised...but can happen in a healthy person but even more rare...... usually will be miss-diagnosed due to it being so rare in humans to start....wrong medication to treat and the pathogen get into the blood stream then to the bone...it is treatable and rarely fatal in humans...but anything can happen especially now with all the resistant from overuse, misuse...etc....of antibiotics.......

Bottom line.....wash hands before and after working in the tank, if you suspect fish TB in your tank-destroy/depose of the fish properly and if you are immune compromised, sick, open wounds on hands...wear gloves too or have a healthy person do it for you.....

Don't freak out and be afraid of your tank/fish....be smart, research, understand, use common sense...be in control......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote