Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #1 
audjree

Unhappy But Why?

I posted a thread titled, "Question About Water Changes" yesterday, and i was confused on whether i should do 50% or 100% water changes.

i read more than a few times that 100% water changes shouldn't be done unless you're using medications because it is stressful, but i also read that many people do it around once a week and their fish are fine.

so, with that and people giving me advice, i decided to do my first water change with 100%. i just got felix a week ago, he was very handsome, had pretty colors, and loved to swim around and eat, though i only fed him four pellets a day.

so, what i did was scoop felix up out of his tank with the cup he came in, pour the water out, pour the gravel into a sink, which i cleaned beforehand with no soap, took out the plants and caved, then rinsed the tank and gravel.

then, i put back the gravel, plants, and cave. poured back water slowly, made sure the temperature was right, added water conditioner, then after a few minutes, i bobbed and acclimated him like when i got him.

the only thing i did different was instead of using a net to transfer him into the tank, i used the cup in which he came in from the store.

at first he didn't want to swim back out, but then he did. after that, all he did was hide in his cave. he came back out to swim a few times, but i noticed his swimming was different. i left him alone for about 4 or 5 hours, then went to check up on him.

i shook his little container that held food because he usually starts to swim real happily, but he was still hiding in his cave, and when he saw it, he started jerking around, unsure of what to do. eventually, he came up to the surface, with his strange swimming, and i gave him one pellet.

then, he went back to his cave. a few hours later, at night, i saw that he was sleeping up on his leaf hammock near the surface, which i thought was good sign because that's what he usually did.

this morning i woke up and checked on him. i didn't see him, so i suspected he was hiding in his cave. after about 15 minutes, i didn't even see him move in his cave and i was wondering if he even went up for air. so, then i realized he wasn't even in his cave, but behind lying behind his cave, dead. ):

but why did this happen? ): i loved this little guy so much. he was so happy, and he loved to swim around, and i know he didn't trust me fully, but he was beginning to. i only had him for one week. i even cried just 10 minutes before i started writing this. ):

did i do something wrong? or was he just stressed out too much from the water change? how come some fish are fine with 100% water changes and some aren't? would he not have died if it was only 50%?

i'm sorry if this is too much. i'm just really sad. ):

also, another question. when you get a new betta, should you do another 100% water change before you put them in?

Last edited by audjree; 07-09-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Spelling
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss.....dang....

In unfiltered tanks that are 1-4gal in size-100% water changes are needed and a 50% on a weekly basis.......to maintain water quality.....

Generally 100% water changes are tolerated....some things that can go wrong......not enough dechlorinator used or forgotten, extreme water temp difference, pH changes from new and old water, something contaminated the tank from either your hands, supplies, sink, in the air......

Its hard to say what happened to your Betta......but when they show signs of distress after the water change that don't resolve within an hour or so.....make another 50% water only change dosing the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank......

In your case it almost sounds like contamination of some type or forgotten dechlorinator.....you may want to toss all the substrate and get new and rinse the tank and all the decoration in warm running water before use......

I wouldn't dump the gravel in the sink....when you make the 100%...pour out all the water and fill with fresh water using your hand to stir the gravel around-pour out and repeat......

Again sorry for your loss....look forward to hearing about you new Betta....don't give up....stuff happens
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #3 
Pitluvs

I lost my two last boys after a week owning them, always after 100% water changes :( Personally, I'll be doing 50% twice a week and never a full 100% again. People I know and local breeders don't do 100% changes, some only do changes every 2-3 weeks so I'm going to be a bit more relaxed about it this time.

It's hard hun, when I lost my Venom, my heart broke.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #4 
MaggieLynn

Did you use water conditioner in the little cup he was in? or did you use tank water.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #5 
audjree

@Oldfishlady yeah, i guess we'll never know. but, thanks for the advice. i'll keep trying.

@Pitluvs i guess you know, having gone through it twice. it is really heartbreaking after only a week. i guess i'll do only 50% too from now on, unless it's really needed.

@MaggieLynn i used his tank water. i just dipped the cup in and scooped him up like that.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #6 
Lion Mom

I am really, really sorry to read about your loss.

I have done a LOT of 100% water changes over the years and have never lost a fish because of it. What I do, however, is acclimate them just like I did when new. So far, knock on wood, that method has never failed me.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

Lion, I did the same thing. Cup betta in old water, use water left out for 24hours to become room temp, add conditioner, add to tank, float betta for 30mins, add small ammount of water until nothing in the cup is old tank water and slowly let him go in it. I do this with all my tanks but I never do 100% changes. I'm actually doing 25% once a week and 50% once a week as I find the 100% is really hard on my fish :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #8 
gbose

Audjree,

Sorry about your loss! Suggest a compromise -- I do 80% water changes, and I leave Oscar in his tank while changing the water. He seems very unstressed and cool about the whole thing.

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:25 AM   #9 
Jrf456

DON'T LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO TELL YOU TO DO 100% WATER CHANGES.

Look.. I had the same problem.
Most of the " helpful " people on this site are compulsive about these fish and go to the extremes stressing them out, basically they keep them healthy physically but not mentally.

Scoop out about a teacup sized cup of water every day which is about 5-10%. Then do a 50% once a week.

100% water changes stress them out and shock them.

Just trust me.

I listened to the people here who told me to do this when I first started bettas. All 8 bettas I bought died in 2 weeks following these peoples rules. I now have 5 healthy happy ones doing these water changes.

I'm not speaking for the entire site.. A few helpful people here.. But most just take it too far. Sorry for your loss.. Good luck with your next one.

Last edited by Jrf456; 07-10-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

When 100% water changes are completed properly....the fish WILL NOT die.....when a fish dies during a 100% water changes it is generally due to hobbyist error...not the water change itself........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water changes