Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #1 
Pataflafla

Sunlight and Crowntails

I've heard from my sister that bringing a crowntail into direct sunlight fora few minutes every so often will help keep their branches strong. and that sometimes it darkens the betta's color.

So as a quick little question: Is this completely true?
I've been bringing Ratchet out a few times and he doesn't seem to mind the sunlight at all, and it's a good time for me to see his light blue coloring. Recently, after the last time I brought him out for a few minutes, his fin edges began to darken a little bit. They're almost black now when they used to be the same light blue/gray of the rest of the fins. I'm ruling out fin rot since his fins are only growing longer and the fact that he has clean water and a healthy diet. He's only torn once and that was from excessive flaring at another cupped betta. The discoloration is mainly on his anal fin, which has always been a reddish color.

I'm not worried about it or upset, just curious. Are there any other tricks to keeps his fins healthy and strong (I don't want them to end up droopy like Yorick's)?
Attached Images

Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:58 AM   #2 
masshiimarro

from what i know, CT fins can curl from hard water and bad husbandry..
ive looked at older threads on this site and it seems that yeah, some people do what you stated to keep CT fins straight! weird! i never knew..
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:03 AM   #3 
Pataflafla

Hm. Well, hopefully my water isn't too hard for his fins. So far they seem pretty strong and have grown quite a bit from his first day with me. They're nothing like Yorick's fins, but I prefer Ratchet's style of finnage.

And bad husbandry should not be a problem since he gets as close to a 100% water change as I can get every week and I tend to overdose on the decholrinator. I'd say it's about 95% water change every week on his shared unfiltered 10 gallon.

Hopefully the sunlight works to keep his fins strong and maybe it'll help out Yorick's fins a little bit too. His are very droopy from being in a cup for what I would think was most of his life. Now he's in the same tank as Ratchet with 3 gallons to himself with view of a pretty little female that he's building nests for.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:16 AM   #4 
masshiimarro

if your worried about hard water... get a piece of driftwood and i think your problem would be solved for the most part. driftwood releases tannins, which are acidic, and actually beneficial to your betta. lol i have hard water in my area too.. but with the driftwood in there it lowered the ph/hardness a bit. i have a CT too and his fins have never curled.
just give your betta some time, and im sure he'll look stunning! :)
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:22 AM   #5 
Pataflafla

Compared to his first day, he's already incredibly stunning when in sunlight. while in the tank he's a metallic gray, but when he's in the sunlight he's a cornflower blue. Very rarely does the light hit him just right in the tank for me to see his blue coloring. Yorick has a light red body, but his fins are a rich red orchid. It's usually hard to see it because of how droopy he is and because he's not into flaring as much as Ratchet.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #6 
Luimeril

my water's apparently too hard for CT's rays, so i don't really like them too much. x: but, i love my Zidane. he's my little curly-Q baby:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8554713&type=1

but, he's perfectly healthy! see?
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8554713&type=1

he's my bubble nest master! <3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #7 
Pataflafla

I wish my boys would build bigger nests. Ratchet only does a nest if there's another male cupped in his side of the tank and Yorick gets started, moves little pieces of it everywhere, and then loses track of what he's doing. So there's little tiny bits of bubble nests allover his side of the tank.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #8 
Luimeril

Zidane only does it the day of his water change. after he's in clean water, he spends days working on his nest, then just.... gives up. x:
Old 07-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #9 
Pataflafla

Neither of my males are very motivated, I guess. There's a femal in the tank space in between them and only Yorick has kinda done something. Ratchet just postures and dances, while Yorick only builds nests and hides in the corner so the female can't see him.

I don't think either of them are very with it when it comes to girls. Awkward teen stage maybe?
Old 07-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #10 
Luimeril

well, Zidane's never seen a girl, so i guess he's just a natural nest builder. x: