Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #1 
JeanLuc2

Question Question about PetSmart

Hi,

I know this doesn't exactly totally fit in here on this part of the website. However, I am thinking of applying to work at PetSmart when I get home. So, I have several questions about this possibility.

Here they are:

1. Given I don't know much about any other fish would it be a bad idea to try and work in the fish department?

2. Would it be a good idea to try and help nurse the little betta's back to health all the while they stay in their cups?

3. Is there anything I should know about working at PetSmart before I get home and apply for a job?

Please advise because I don't exactly want to have a job but my parent's are practically forcing me so I might as well try to help the poor little betta's at PetSmart if it is possible. Thanks
JeanLuc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #2 
masshiimarro

1. as long as you do your research, i dont see why not?
2. while it would be a good idea, and im sure the store bettas would definitely appreciate it, i dont know if petsmart allows it. as insane as it seems.. do check with petsmart policies and such before trying. if there isnt anything about it,,, just do it XD
3. i probably know just as much as you do..

i think you should do it. i mean, im sure the fish dept would be much better with you there, since your are someone that cares! it would a great time to learn about other species too :)
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #3 
bahamut285

IMHO, There are 4 people I see often in the fish department, and only two of them have perfect, flawless knowledge about fish. The other two honestly know the knowledge that is posted on those little cards giving basic care (i.e. Mollies: 20+ moderately planted). Meanwhile one should also note that they should be in a 2:1 female:male ratio, etcetc. 3:1 is the best, blah blah blah.

I think if you just do a little research (on the fish they have on their website) as masshiimarro said, you should be in relatively good standings. In the interview you should mention (or they will probably ask) if you have any fishkeeping experience yourself.

In the fish section you're also responsible for plants and crickets (at least most Canadian Petsmarts are like this), so hopefully bugs don't make you skittish. So read up on some common aquatic plants as well.

You should also be knowledgeable about tank sizes and the current stocking level of your customer. The one very awesome guy ALWAYS asks what size the tank is, and what is currently in it. Given yes, he's pissed/turned a couple people away, but he still has his job and those fish stay (relatively) safe at petsmart, instead of cramped in a tiny tank in a n00b's house.

As for bettas, be wary about small kids who want them, at least advise the bare minimum to the parent. You can give a recommendation of 2.5 Gal heated, but if the parent seems snobbish/pissy about it then recommend at least a 1 Gal, with or without heater X_X

Don't get my started on goldfish though, haha.

I don't work there myself but I make a hobby out of people watching. FOr every raging/angry parent with a whiny kid, there are 5 people who just stroll through the section to look. Also, there are also a lot of experienced aquarists that make for excellent conversation, especially if you are now knowledgeable about other species :D!
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #4 
Shimizoki

I say go for it, these 2 basically have you covered. Read up on what you intend to do, KNOW YOUR STUFF. There is nothing I hate more than to hear a "professional" tell people wrong information that may hurt or even kill what they are selling.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #5 
JeanLuc2

Hi guys,

Thanks for the super supportive advice on this. I really appreciate it.

Would it be bad if bugs and feeding stuff like blood worms to my fish or any other animal make me skiddish??? The only condition I had when I was buying my JL was that I didn't want to feed him any of that and if I didn't know what was in the pellets then I was happy. Would this help to make a potential problem if I was able to work in the fish section?

I definitely think I will read up on all the fish they offer, and their policies on stuff like nursing their poor bettas/keeping all of them healthy. Their website is dumb and you can't really find anything there. I've already tried to look to see if the shop I go to is hiring and I couldn't find that! So I will need to do some investigating when I get home.

I am by no means a young version of Old Fish Lady yet so it would be incredibly helpful if someone could suggest something that I could read that would explain the stuff that bettas tend to get sick with and how to treat it. This would be useful even if I didn't get the job too.

Absolutely any other advice you can possibly give me is really appreciated!!!
=D
Old 07-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #6 
masshiimarro

well,,, as bahamut285 said, you DO need to manage the crickets...
though personally i dont think petsmart feeds live/frozen foods to their fish, they would feed flakes/pellets instead.. they feed crickets to the reptiles, but its only cuz thats really their only diet or something similar..

make sure you know when you get the job whether you need to manage ALL of the animals in the shop, or if they specifically assign you to a category. if you are skittish about insects, you may want to reconsider if they ask you to manage reptiles..
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:59 AM   #7 
Sakura8

PM a poster named coet. She works at a Petsmart so she may have some advice for you. And the best way to get experience is by working with fish. Do your research and read lots of books (since some of the info on the internet can be iffy). A less experienced employee who is willing to learn is, in my opinion, ten times better than a semi-experienced employee who thinks they know everything already but in reality knows zilch.

As for the live bugs thing, if you have an understanding supervisor, you may never have to do that. At my Petsmart there is an employee who can't stand the hermit crabs and his supervisor was understanding enough to trade customers with him (ie, the supervisor helped the hermit crab customer and the other employee helped me). Talk to your supervisor about it and see what comes of it.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #8 
JeanLuc2

Ok I will PM that member. I will find as many books about fish as I possibly can when I get home. I will also make sure whether or not I will be mananging all of the animals or just the fish, and if I get the job I will talk to my supervisor about he cricket thing.

Thanks for all the advice :)
Old 07-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #9 
Sakura8

You're welcome. Good luck!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #10 
JeanLuc2

Thanks =D