Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #1 
JeanLuc2

Question Is this tail biting or something else?

Hi guys,

So my little boy has continued to be hyper for my mom while I am gone and he has built her a ginormous bubble nest for her (its in the photo below). I am wondering if you look at his tail if this is tail biting or something else? It's been like that since before I left a tiny bit over a month ago.

It doesn't look like ich or anything else so I can't really tell what is going on with him.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? approx 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes but not in use
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? look up
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none just his trusty best friend..his log

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin Color Enhancing bits
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, 2 to 3 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100 %
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime by SeaChem

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Don't have a test kit

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Just the shorter tails
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Still fiesty as ever so nope
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Around a month ago after the night we had 3 tornado warnings
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes but usually it's him trying to scare me.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Going to turn 1 year old next month :D

Yep...if we could figure out what is going on and if his beautiful fins will ever grow back to their prettyness they were before the tornado warnings I will be so happy.
JeanLuc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #2 
NCPanthersgurl

Hmm. Do you have/can you get a closer shot? It's difficult to see in this one.

The bubblenest is always a good sign, usually means they're happy. So my first guess would be he's not tail biting since that's usually stress...

But again, I can't be sure without really seeing it.
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #3 
JeanLuc2

I will see if I can't get my mom to try and get another photo that is closer. Try is the operative word since JL is kind-of camera shy and he gets really angry at you when you try so my mom got lucky in this photo.

I can also upload the original "is this tail biting?" photo if that would help. I don't know just how good it would be. Do you want me to do that?
Old 07-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #4 
NCPanthersgurl

Yeah that would be helpful. :)
Old 07-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #5 
JeanLuc2

Here this is the older photo..I don't know how much better it is than the other photo.

Hope this helps =D
Old 07-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #6 
JeanLuc2

Please keep in mind that I noticed this after I freaked him out during the 3 tornado warnings. I usually have a few days to a day's lead time before the weather gets bad since I storm chase back home. In any case, I didn't have the lead time and we didn't know we had a risk for tornadoes. I was watching NCIS when this all went down and the tv flashed at the bottom "Severe Thunderstorm Warning" and then 30 seconds later it said "Tornado Warning". So, since I didn't have the lead time to prepare the QT cup so I can bring him downstairs in that I grabbed the heater & brought it down first and then I grabbed him in his 2 gallon bowl & then carefully walked him down the stairs & put him on a desk (with a slightly hard landing). He, my parakeet, and I were all downstairs waiting and watching for 3 hours. I brought him and my parakeet back upstairs after that for the rest of the night since the risk was over, and I gave JL one extra pellet (bringing his total to an all time high of 4 pellets for the day) & my parakeet a string/stick of millet. His behavior didn't really change but he was a wee bit more jumpy.

I don't know if that story would help either.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:58 PM   #7 
NCPanthersgurl

Looking at the white spots, I don't think that's biting....I can't be sure though.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #8 
Sakura8

It looks like he has some white spots on him in the first photo, the one your mom took. Can you get more detail on those spots? (I assume you aren't home yet and are doing this long-distance) Are the spots fuzzy like a fungus or do they just look like natural coloring like in the second picture? If the answer is not fuzzy, I would say the spots are natural coloring and he's a tailbiter.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #9 
JeanLuc2

Hi guys,

Yes I am doing this quite long distance as I am about an hour & a half away from Phillidelphia, PA. We discussed the white spots when his color started changing and I remember them not being fuzzy. The spots have not turned fuzzy since then. In any case do you want me to ask my mom to try and get closer photos of the spots??

Before the tornado warnings he had super beautiful new fin growth all over. It was silver and red. You can still see a little of it on his beard like fins. What is on his beard like fins are what is left of the beautiful fin growth.

I have no clue what I am dealing with but if his beahavior changes when he's sick it changes rapidly. So far he hasn't acted sick and I haven't found any of his fins at the bottom of his bowl.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #10 
Sakura8

I'd say his white spots are natural then, if they aren't fuzzy, but I'd still keep an eye on them. It's weird but he definitely seems to still be somewhat affected by the tornado warnings, although those were a few weeks ago if I remember correctly. You can ask your mom to try some tannins, using decaffeinated green tea (just green tea, no extra flavors or additives). She can soak the teabag in his tank for maybe an hour or so. The tannins may help soothe him as well as help stimulate healing.

If you haven't found any of his fins, I'd say he's tailbiting. I can't say for sure but I believe when they bite off fin, they just swallow it. At least, when one of the girls in my sorority bit off part of another girl's fins, that's what she did. After she swam around with it hanging out of her mouth like a trophy, anyway. Then, slurp, she swallowed it.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote