Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #11 
Silverfang

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahfeathers View Post
If you want to really speed things up I'd suggest getting some frozen bloodworms, which are better for them than the freeze-dried. I also don't know what your setup is like, but I'd try to keep him away from other males or females he might flar at, as I'm sure that could make healing take longer/even let him tear his fins a bit more.
+1

I too recommend going the frozen food (not freeze dried route). Also getting API stress coat has helped my boy in the past when he's bitten his own tail.
As for the length of time to regrow, it varies from case to case. Some bettas will recover in a short time, while others may never get all their finnage back. Time, good nutrition, and good parenting is really all you can do, and hope for the best.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #12 
Luimeril

i dunno if this has been said, but you might wanna not use the melafix. x: it can damage his labyrinth organ.

Indian Almond Leaves help speed up the regrowth, as do food high in protein, i think it was.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #13 
Landon21
Banned

thanks for the advice, ill post pics in a bit!
Landon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #14 
Landon21
Banned

This was my male plakat bossie about two weeks ago:

I introduced him to a female veil tail bella, he was about three times her size.

I provided plenty of coverage fearing she would need cover from him, but when i checked on them the next morning i found him like this (note this pic is two weeks after healing and medicating)..

Ive still be treating him with medications and he as spunky as ever, but ive placed them in a devided four gallon long and shallow breeding setup. Ive placed the male plakat on the right side with the heater and air pump to keep the water circulating, however on the other side the female is now floating in a cup (with a lid lol) with my male veil tail casper (pic of below). I have their side heavily planted and will see if he builds a nest.. but what do you think the babies would look like if i breed these two vail tails.. I couldnt get a good pic of casper but he was a walmart rescue but he is stunning!

and this is my buddy preston.. another walmart rescue..
Old 07-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #15 
Landon21
Banned

also do you think the veil tails could breed in this setup? everything seems right to me but any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #16 
NCPanthersgurl

I can't see your Casper very well but I think he looks a lot like my Jazz; who was a WalMart rescue himself. :)

You shouldn't need the air pump once you release them together, some people say it interferes with the breeding process and shouldn't be used at all. Is it just for air circulation or is it a filtration system? And does it have a sponge cover if it's filtration?
Whether it does or no, turn it off when you plan to put them together. I've been told it can cause issues with the eggs and breeding process, and the fry til they're free swimming.

I'm not an expert on it though, I haven't done my first spawn yet and mine got set back by a slightly sick male...but I've done a LOT of reading, especially since my own pair are VT. :)
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #17 
Landon21
Banned

the container they are in contains a devider, the breeding pair is on the left and the plakat is on the right. there is no current on the pairs side..
Old 07-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #18 
NCPanthersgurl

Ohhh well I don't see why they wouldn't then. :)
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #19 
Landon21
Banned

the fish are doing great now, read my topic in the breeding section, needing some advice lol