Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #1 
Jirothebetta

Jiro and Yuki

Hi there, new here and I thought this would be a good place to start posting...

I am going into my second attempt at breeding bettas, with semi success on the first try(1 surviving two month old fry) I am confident I will have better success this go. My fish are in decent condition, the bubble nest has been built(it is huge!!!) and they are pretty much going through the motions, though my female Yuki is still in hiding...

Now to get down to my question, I am wondering if anyone would have a clue as to what a cross between my Halfmoon double tail and my red cambodian crowntial is going to look like...I have no earthly clue...Opinions please

Jirothebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #2 
NCPanthersgurl

First, welcome!

Second, hmm. I'm not sure. The colors are so different, I'm thinking your fry are going to be either red washed {which could be cool} or completely random. As to the actual fish type...I'm still fairly new to this myself, so I'm not sure. Beautiful betta's though. :D
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #3 
Jirothebetta

Thanx, I do agree that they are a bit of a strange pair as far as color goes, but the only other female I have is a blue Cambodian and she's not quite breeding ready, so I went with Yuki...its sort of a little experiment...I am hoping to get halfmoon crowntails at least, now, halfmoon crown tails with interesting color could only be a bonus
Old 07-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #4 
NCPanthersgurl

This is true. Do you know any of the parentage genetics, or are they petshop babies? {Mine are all petshop babies so when I breed them I really have no idea what I'll get >.<}
Old 07-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #5 
Jirothebetta

No percentages, both of these fish are Petco bettas, they are sort of my practice dummies(my beautiful well loved practice dummies ) to help me get the basics of betta breeding down...though I will say Jiro, my male, has definite serious breeding potential, that pic. does not come close to giving him full credit, he almost looks black in person except for his blue green eyes...I just wish I had a better female to pair him with(I came this close to purchasing a dark blue halfmoon from thialand just for him but decided I just didn't have the funds for an imported fish...)
Old 07-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #6 
NCPanthersgurl

Yeah, unfortunately getting them out of country can kill your wallet, and that's just shipping alone >.<

I found my purple female VT at Petco, she's beautiful. Mine, at least, usually has a pretty good betta selection for a pet store, and they all look well cared for. :) But she and my two males are all VT, I went the cheaper route for my first breeding attempt. Once I get the actual act down pat, then I might breed something more...costly. lol

But in the meantime, have you checked out Aquabid.com? I know sometimes they have posts from people in the US, you might be able to find something more local that you like more. And they're usually pretty reasonable cost wise.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #7 
Jirothebetta

I can't look at aquabid...it gives me Betta Fish fever LOL. I did look through the listings a few times, but the only fish that interest me are the darker more vibrant colored fish and all I see listed in America are the goldens, black fires, and reds and such...in other words, I have yet to see an american listed betta that totally knocks me out...Of course that doesn't mean the listed fish aren't beautiful, I am just really picky when it comes to bettas...
Old 07-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #8 
NCPanthersgurl

Can't blame you, I'm the same way. If I wasn't, I'd have hundreds. Purple is my fav. color, a natural for the female. And my Jazz is an iridescent pinky color that caught my attention.

My boyfriend's Riot is red, blue, and purple. He's pretty, but probably not one I would have bought. >.<
Old 07-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #9 
Luimeril

the male's BEAUTIFUL! :O i can't wait to see their babies!

everyone's inspiring me to breed my pet store babies. x: but they're all too old. Dx
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #10 
Jirothebetta

LOL If I didn't have some kind of standard my house would be over run with betta's of all shapes and sizes...not that that would be a bad thing .Multi-colored's like your boyfriends can be very beautiful, but when I see them my brain almost always automatically registers, mutt...I do own one of my own that would probably make most betta breeders cringe, he is some kind of red, black lace combtail with high green iridescence and crazy fins...looks like he was almost a double tail...to me he his beautiful, but definitely a mutt betta when it come's down to it...

I think I saw your male and female in a different post, your purple girl is very beautiful, and you male is very cute with his pink fins, I don't think you could have picked a better name for him that Jazz, LOL