Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #1 
NCPanthersgurl

Want to double check that I diagnosed this right...

Housing
What size is your tank? 10gal, filled 6 inches
What temperature is your tank? 78*
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Bloodworms, flakes, shrimp, whatever he'll eat {he's very picky}
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every other day, currently {tanks not been set up long, and since it's such a low water level...}
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat/Tap Water Conditioner {just in case though I think our water is fed directly from springs}

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No
If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? A bit darker, droopy fins, about it...
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Yes; lethargic, doesn't move much unless stimulated or for air
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning
Have you started treating your fish? Yes If so, how? 100% water change, added some aq. salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unsure {pet shop baby}

I'm treating this as just stress, and I'm hoping I'm not wrong? Just want to double check.

Jazz's heater went a bit overboard last night, heated his tank to 90* even though it was only set to 82. I did a 100% water change as soon as I noticed, added aquarium salt, re acclimated him to the new temperature, and released him 15 minutes after. Also added an extra couple drops of stress coat. He's okayish. He's very lethargic, swims only when stimulated or he needs air. Rarely in between. His fins are droopy, he picks at food but won't eat it. He's a little darker in color, but not much.

I'm assuming the temperature jump put him in shock?

I just want to make sure that I'm right in treating him for stress. I'm trying not to release tannins unless he shows no improvement by tomorrow morning. No bloating, nothing like that. Thoughts? :)
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #2 
NCPanthersgurl

Thoughts?
Old 07-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #3 
Silverfang

here's hoping it's just a shock from the rise in temperature. Hope he's feeling better now that you've cooled him down. Next time you might want to cool him down a bit more gradually as to not shock him. Maybe put a few ice cubes in a zip lock bag and float that in the water. Some people say put the ice in the water, but it needs dechlorinator and it still might shock him.

Try turning off the light so it's nice and dark for him to rest and recover.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #4 
DarkMoon17

Sounds like he's a bit shocked. There isn't much you can do now aside from adding Stress Coat and reducing stresses (noise, movement, additional temp changes...). Turning off the light like Silverfang suggested will help him relax too. You might want to reduce the water changes a bit for awhile as well. 6 inches means there are at least 5 gallons so you can safely reduce water changes to 50% instead of 100%. The water quality and temperature change would be much less stressful for him. Good luck and keep us posted :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #5 
NCPanthersgurl

Thanks. I was at work for 5 hours {thankfully a short shift today}, the house was dark, and when I got home and peeked in his tank he came over to greet me. Which is always a good sign.

My initial inclination even before the water change was to unplug the heater, so no worries, I didn't let it happen too fast. I did some double checks on stress reducers and showered before I changed the water, then took him out in a clear plastic cup so the catching wasn't more stressful than necessary, and thennn floated him in the new water about 10 minutes later. No worries ^.^

I still haven't seen him eat, though that doesn't mean he hasn't.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #6 
DarkMoon17

How is he today? Is he eating yet?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #7 
NCPanthersgurl

He wouldn't eat this morning until I unthawed some frozen brine shrimp, grabbed their tails with tweezers, and dragged them around the tank. He ate about 4 that way though. I guess it's a start? He's a bunch more active though.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #8 
DarkMoon17

That's very good news, it's good to hear he is feeling better! Let us know if anything happens :)
Old 07-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #9 
NCPanthersgurl

Tags
betta, shock, sick, stress