Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #1 
Neil D

Question Dwarf Gourami in a 10 Gallon

My friend wants a dwarf gourami in a Ten Gallon tank. Is this okay? He will get all the supplies necessary and he has me next door to help. He would also like an apple snail and/or ghost shrimp. Is this alright? I've read conflicting reports about DG's in a 10 gallon. I have also seen them at my LFS. They seem pretty small, the size of a betta.

RECAP: Is it okay to put one male dwarf gourami in a ten gallon tank?
Can he have a snail/ shrimp in there too?

Thanks in advance.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #2 
kathstew

Yes, a 10 gallon is fine for a dwarf gourami. I have a dwarf gourami and a honey gourami. Personally, I like honey gouramis better. I think they have more personality,and in a 10 gallon you can keep a pair. Honey gouramis are smaller than dwarf gouramis as well.
Here's some info on dwarf gouramis:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/p...dwarf-gourami/
Here's info on honey gouramis.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/profiles/honey-gourami/\

With either, I'm pretty sure you could keep either a snail or ghost shrimp with them.
If your friend decided to go with the honey gouramis, he could also have some type of substrate fish as well.

Edit: Did you know bettas and gouramis are from the same family?
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #3 
TheBlueBettaFish

I'm pretty sure no. Because Bettas and Gouramis are cousins. And kin don't go well together. (This is what I read on Aquarium Care For Bettas published by Animal Planet)
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #4 
Neil D

Ok. Thanks kathstew. Can you give me more info on the pair? My friend seems interested in that. Um blue, no one asked about keeping a gourami and betta together. (unless i misunderstood) Anyway, yes they are both anataboids or whatever. Thx

Last edited by Neil D; 07-15-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #5 
Tisia

so first Sakura thinks I'm Yuuie, and now you go and call kathstew by my name :p lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #6 
Neil D

Oh. Sorry:X

Appropriate credit goes to Kathstew
Old 07-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #7 
kathstew

LOL. I hope credit goes to me! XD My name is Kathryn btw, if you wanna call me that XD

OK. First off, honey's are sensitive to water changes, so your friend should definitely fish-less cycle the tank. I've found that my honey will eat flakes, but definitely prefers frozen bloodworms, so I usually do a mix of both throughout the week (usually 6 days of flakes, and then 1 day of bloodworms), although some are more picky than others. They need heaters, just like any tropical fish. Honey gouramis, I've found, are a bit sensitive to loud noises. Mine will go and hide in her tunnels if things get too loud, so your friend should put them were there isn't going to be a lot of noise. From what I remember, you can keep any mix of genders together for honeys, but maybe have your friend research that a bit. For tankmates, your friend could get some pygmy cories. Honey's don't like fish that are extremely active, so nothing that is very fast. If he didn't want pygmys he could keep them with some type of tetra, like neons, or harlequins.
The tank should be planted pretty heavily, with maybe some floating plants as well. :)
Old 07-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #8 
Neil D

Yup! Ill tell him. For the cycle, Im gonna give him my filter media. Insta-cycle. My tank has been running for approx 10 months now. Im gonna have two cartridges a week before i give him my old one. SO about the honey's, can he have two males? Or a male and a female? Or what? It IS okay in a 10G right?
Old 07-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #9 
kathstew

Yes, its fine keeping a pair in a 10 gallon, I asked the same question a few months ago on tropicalfishkeeping.com, and one of the fish-experts (Byron) :P told me you could keep a pair of honeys + substrate fish in a 10 gal.
That is a great idea giving him one of your cartridges. LOL, I wish someone had done that for me when I first got started :P
As far as I know, you can keep any pairing of honeys together,(male/male male/female female/female) but to be safe I would ask on tropicalfishkeeping.com, (you are already signed up for tropicalfishkeeping, just sign in with the username and password you use here). I've never heard anyone having problems keeping two males together. I have two females together, and they get along great.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

Just want to toss our there that Harlequins, Black Neons, Red Eye are quite hyper fish. I have schools of them (which they should be in) and they are the most active in my tank. I would suggest Glowlite Tetras, they are calm and shy and like to hang out mid center tank or hide. :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote