Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #1 
FunkyJelly

Cool Hatching Eggs

So my eggs are hatcing already and I still have the male in there...should I take him out? because I see some fry falling and sawimming back up and he is also putting them in his mouth...seems like he is eating them...is he? or is he caring for them or something? putting back in the nest? Please reply. Thanks
FunkyJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:09 PM   #2 
masshiimarro

mm... i dont breed, but if he doesnt look like hes moving his jaws by nodding his head up/down after putting the fry into his mouth, i dont think he would be eating them. hes probably picking up the ones that dropped.
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #3 
Jirothebetta

Congratulations on your new betta babies

At this point in the fry's development the father fish will be very busy making sure no fry fall out of the bubble nest, when a fry falls he will catch it in his mouth and put it back up into the nest, the first few times he does this you will be very convinced he is eating his fry(he might be) but usually he will spit the fry back up into the bubble nest...he shouldn't be eating them, though a few might get swallowed by accident. Of course if you do notice that all of your fry are disappearing down his throat one by one then I would remove him, other wise you should leave him in until the fry are free swimming...more often than not he will be a good daddy and his presence there will only increase there chances of survival.
Jirothebetta is offline   Reply With Quote