Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2011, 12:23 AM   #1 
Fleetwood

Betta fish and green tea

I know this was probably a topic brought up previously, but I've used green tea before-in placement of the other, more pricey "good for your fish" stuff, with success on ill Bettas, but I was wondering if this could be a good way to de-stress an otherwise healthy fish? I was also wondering if anyone had tea recommendations and would be willing to share their experiences using green tea (decaf, of course!)
Fleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:51 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Yes, I think it's just fine to use green tea/tannins as a de-stressor. Aside from the tannins, the darker water color simulates a betta's natural habitat. It's probably healthier to use green tea as a de-stressor than it is to use aquarium salt. However, I'm not 100% on what any long-term effects would be if you used green tea ALL the time.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:37 AM   #3 
Fleetwood

Thanks for your input, I'll be sure to pick some up fairly soon. I'm a tea drinker as it is, but right now, all of my teas have caffeine within them. I obviously do not want to use it all the time, but seeing as my Betta is going through an adjustment period I believe it would come in handy. However, as usual, I want to double check before I do anything. [:
I believe the green tea will be a good thing until his next water change.
I've been looking into getting a sun lamp too, eventually-to put near his tank. He has no light attachment. I know that a desk lamp would be fine too, but could anyone tell me whether or not it'd be worth it to get a desk sunlamp?
I was thinking that in the winter it'd probably benefit the two of us, actually.
Ha.

Also, do you have a brand of tea you'd recommend by chance?
Old 07-17-2011, 02:54 AM   #4 
Fleetwood

Hm, I have some sleepytime tea. It's a decaf herbal with lemongrass, some florals and spearmint. Would this be alright, or should I just go ahead and get some good ol' decaf green?
Old 07-17-2011, 03:06 AM   #5 
Fleetwood

Ah. Just saw that it has chamomile. Let's discount that idea...I'll just try and find a decaf green.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:19 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Yeah, it's best if it doesn't have any extra flavors. But Sleepytime is good for you if you have insomnia.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #7 
nel3

do you use the tea simply to darken the water or to lower the PH also? mine seems to be a tail bitter or something along those lines. did a 100 water change and put half a cup of decaf green for colour (1g tank), the ph level hasn't dropped in the tank. had the fish on 1 week of AQ salt within the past 2 weeks and i dont want him to stay in AQ salt 24/7/52.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #8 
Sakura8

You CAN use green tea/tannins to lower pH but you may need more than half a cup. And it's good you took Nel out of the AQ salt, he shouldn't be in it more than 10 days or so anyway. Hopefully he gets past the tailbiting thing.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #9 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
You CAN use green tea/tannins to lower pH but you may need more than half a cup. And it's good you took Nel out of the AQ salt, he shouldn't be in it more than 10 days or so anyway. Hopefully he gets past the tailbiting thing.
thank you Sakura, i dont know if he will get stressed out if i drop the ph with a tea bag for 6hrs. i was forced to stop his AQ treatment because he had 3 small holes in the caudal tail between the spines 2-3mm long. they healed within 24 hours after AQ stopped . now i just hope his ragged tail will heal, dont see any rot but the caudal and the top fin are curling on the edges.\

i read on another thread here that 2 of the user's fish tail bite if the water is %100 clear. im hoping thats the case with mine. im presuming that the colour change has already added some tannins to the water to destress. do live plants also have such effects? got 1.5 stalks of anacharis in the 1 gal to kill ammonia. id put in more but the silk plant takes some room in the tank.

Last edited by nel3; 07-17-2011 at 11:24 AM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #10 
Sakura8

I don't know if live plants help but I know some driftwood can leach tannins. The plants may help destress him in that he has places to hide, though. I hope his fins heal up for you.