Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #11 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I don't know if live plants help but I know some driftwood can leach tannins. The plants may help destress him in that he has places to hide, though. I hope his fins heal up for you.
thank you Sakura, i hope his caudal spines get straightened out within a month or so. think theres some regrowth (clear white area) but then again they may be weak areas to look out for.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #12 
nel3

looks like Nel is not responding to much now with the darkened water. first time i used green tea in his tank and hes just floating in a few spots without being too active. didnt even take a bite of food when offered. is this usually what happens or is it anything to worry about? he had 20 minutes in the small glass when i put the mixed water in his glass.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #13 
bahamut285

As per my numerous tests, Green tea appears to lower pH in a relatively safe manner. If you want to remove the tea from your tank, a MAXIMUM of 30% must be removed in order to not pH shock your fish.

However this also depends on the alkalinity of your water...hmm...moar testssss *science goggles*.

Right now I've cut back on teabags to a "spa" treatment more than permanent living conditions. I leave the teabag in the tank for 24 hours to steep, take it out, then change the water the NEXT day.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #14 
Sakura8

If he was pretty stressed, then I'd say this is a normal reaction. He's just chillin'. It may take a bit for him to get his appetite back too. And even if the green tea doesn't help with visibly de-stressing him, the tannins should help with the healing process. As long as he doesn't freak out and go darting all over the place.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:18 PM   #15 
nel3

he's mostly ignoring me, fins drooping but not clamped. tried feeding him just now. he didnt even move to chase the toothpick or mini turkey baster that comes with PH test kits. think he's still shocked a bit, though it probably helped him with fin healing a bit. ill take out 25% water tomorow with clean water. the ph here is usually 7.4-7.6. the ph in the tea tank is the same as clear water.

would it be feasible to always have tea in there 1/4 cup tea (or less) to 1 gal of clear water?

Last edited by nel3; 07-17-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:25 PM   #16 
Sakura8

Hmm. Poor guy, I hope he perks up soon. I'm not sure about having tea in there all the time You might want to PM Oldfishlady, she'll probably know something about this. I'm pretty sure you can have Indian Almond Leaf in there all the time, though. Except IAL is so hard to find.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #17 
nel3

i'll give him 2-3 daya to remove the tea to take him off it. the anacharis does its job for the ammonia.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:36 PM   #18 
Sakura8

If the pH never changed though, I don't think he was shocked by the tea or anything. He must just be stressed from something.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #19 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
If the pH never changed though, I don't think he was shocked by the tea or anything. He must just be stressed from something.
it could be fom the darker water colour, the introduction of tannins, or he could just be chilling. i'll figure out something. worst case ph change would be .2 drop but nothing more.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:45 PM   #20 
Sakura8

Good luck.