Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #11 
Sakura8

You can get epsom salt at any drugstore or Wal-Mart. It's used as a laxative in humans, also as a muscle soak. You probably could feed your guy maybe 4 pellets a day and he'd be fine. Many small meals is best. You didn't drastically overfeed, though, so don't worry too much.

It sounds like he's getting dropsy so I'd suggest starting him on the epsom salt as soon as possible. At this point you may want to put him into a small QT tank, like the petstore cup he came in or a small bowl. Mix one gallon of dechlorinated water with two tsps of epsom salt. When the salt has dissolved, pour that into his QT container. Change the water in his container every day, redoing the salt treatment each time. Don't worry if he's not eating, he probably doesn't have much of an appetite but hopefully it will come back when he shrinks down to normal size.

Hope this helps and I hope he gets better quickly.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #12 
Sara07013

Okay thank you for clarifying that! I wouldn't have known the difference. I'll go look for some as soon as possible. I hope I'm not too late he looks bad =( When I start the treatment. Should I keep him in his lil cup floating in his aquarium so he's still heated or keep him out?

Last edited by Sara07013; 07-18-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Sara07013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #13 
Sara07013

Bought some epsom salt at the local pharmacy! Starting his treatment now...He doesn't look too happy in his cup. I hope he's not stressing out. I just hope this helps! I always have such bad luck with fish...always have
Old 07-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #14 
Sakura8

Sara, it's not your fault. So many fish available in the pet stores are already ill or unhealthy before you even get them. :( The care given to them in places like Petsmart and Petco is sometimes iffy at best. I hope your guy gets better quickly. He may not be happy in his cup but it's really for the best. If he does get too stressed though, you might want to put him in something bigger so he doesn't panic.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #15 
Sara07013

Well it's day 2 and nothing seems to have changed. His stomach is still very bloated and still no poop. He just lies at the bottom of his cup and only comes up for air. How long should I continue this treatment?? Its killing me seeing him like this =(
Old 07-19-2011, 07:30 PM   #16 
NCPanthersgurl

The epsom isn't helping? That's odd. :/
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #17 
Sara07013

I thought so to. I wish I could get a picture of him but my camera is terrible and it makes blurry pictures. Should I maybe use more salt??
Old 07-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #18 
NCPanthersgurl

How much are you using? And hmm. He's in a QT tank right?

Does your camera have a macro setting? It's a little flower.
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #19 
Sara07013

He is in his lil betta cup from the store. I mixed 1 gallon of declorinated water with 2 tsp of salt and let that desolve and poured that mixture into his lil cup and just have him inside his cup floating inside his reg tank. I'll try again to get a picture
Old 07-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #20 
Sara07013

He is completely loosing his color in his fins they are almost clear and he used to be all blue with red fins but now he's all red with little color on his fins. He is deteriorating quickly I'm afraid he won't make it through the night. I got a few pics I'm gonna try to post them. He is serously gonna die =(