Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #21 
Sara07013

Sara07013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #22 
NCPanthersgurl

I think he needs to be in something bigger, but shallow...
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:18 AM   #23 
Sakura8

Yes. See if you can find big rectangular Gladware containers at your grocery store. They are in the same area where plastic sandwhich bags are. I think they hold 8 cups. I use them for QT with great success. Since the epsom salt isn't helping I think your guy may have a bacterial infection. Is he eating?

If you can, get Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite Medicated Pellets. The medicine in those pellets is very effective for internal bacterial infections. If you can't find those, get Maracyn II.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #24 
Sara07013

No he's not eating..If he makes it through the night I'll find him the Maracyn II but to be honest if he doesn't make it I probably won't get anymore fish. It is wayy to depressing for me to go through so many fish I feel completely like it's my fault. It's killing me =( I want to keep fish but for some reason I am always doing something wrong and it's stressing me out =(
Old 07-20-2011, 12:43 AM   #25 
Sakura8

No, don't think that way. :( Everyone goes through a learning process and every good fish owner has bad things happen to them for no reason. And there are a lot of factors that are beyond your control, like the health of the betta before you even get them. If the pet stores kept them in better conditions, they wouldn't get sick so often.

You need to do what you feel most comfortable with but I hope you don't give up too quickly. And if you do take a break from bettas, there's always a place here on the forum for you when you decide to get another one.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:48 AM   #26 
Sara07013

I love all animals. A little too much I think lol. Betta fish are soo great I've had goldfish and Platy's but they just don't compare! I grow such a bond with my pets so whenever they get sick it hurts a lot. When they are hurting I'm hurting. I just hope he makes it through so I can try that Maracyn II. Does walmart carry that or only petco/petsmart?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:53 AM   #27 
Sakura8

Only Petco/Petsmart. I hope he makes it too. If he has trouble reaching the surface, lower the water level to about 1 1/2 inches. I understand completely, it's so hard and you feel so helpless when your fish is sick. It's worse with a fish. When one of my cats gets sick, I can hug him or her and let them know I love them and I feel so bad that they feel bad (and then they usually swat me because they're sick and grumpy, lol). But with my bettas, all I can do is watch. :( Still, I believe they always know they are loved because they react so much to us.