Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #1 
blueboy

Unhappy Fin Rot...

Hi all....I had rescued my beautiful fish from a friend that was neglecting it...and I wasn't even interested in fish....quite fond of this guy though..hee hee...anyway, he's was in a 2gal bowl with no heater and filtration..did frequent 100% water changes and kept the unused food out as much as possible...and he was fine for 1.5yrs...not overly active though....then I moved into a place that is really cold...so kept the heat on for him and almost suffocated myself...oh man....he developed a fast case of fin rot...bettafix wasn't doing a thing...so went to the tetracycline for 10 days...he seems happy and repaired...while he was medicated I went out and got him a 16gal tank with heater and filter and had it all set up and running for those 10 days...rinsed ordaments and gravel well and the inside of tank and set up properly....so after him being in new tank for 3wks he had a hole in dorsal fin and over the aftn. it cause a split and some of the other edges were looking frayed....anybody know why this happened??? Was it something I did or didn't do??? The only thing I can think of that was different was the water didn't seem clear enough to me and the pet store told me to put good bacteria stabilizer in for a week...but I'm thinking it didn't need that and it was just filter bits in the water...so by using that silly liquid stuff I unbalanced the good and maybe the bad got to him???? Sorry this is soooo long...
blueboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy View Post
Hi all....I had rescued my beautiful fish from a friend that was neglecting it...and I wasn't even interested in fish....quite fond of this guy though..hee hee...anyway, he's was in a 2gal bowl with no heater and filtration..did frequent 100% water changes and kept the unused food out as much as possible...and he was fine for 1.5yrs...not overly active though....then I moved into a place that is really cold...so kept the heat on for him and almost suffocated myself...oh man....he developed a fast case of fin rot...bettafix wasn't doing a thing...so went to the tetracycline for 10 days...he seems happy and repaired...while he was medicated I went out and got him a 16gal tank with heater and filter and had it all set up and running for those 10 days...rinsed ordaments and gravel well and the inside of tank and set up properly....so after him being in new tank for 3wks he had a hole in dorsal fin and over the aftn. it cause a split and some of the other edges were looking frayed....anybody know why this happened??? Was it something I did or didn't do??? The only thing I can think of that was different was the water didn't seem clear enough to me and the pet store told me to put good bacteria stabilizer in for a week...but I'm thinking it didn't need that and it was just filter bits in the water...so by using that silly liquid stuff I unbalanced the good and maybe the bad got to him???? Sorry this is soooo long...
Did you cycle the tank before you put him into the tank? If not I would do 2 50% water changes weekly until it cycles..Right now..I would get him into a Quarantine container or float him in a smaller container in the heated tank with 1 tsp aquarium salt per gallon..
Do you have any photos of his fins? could it be possible that he may be ripping his fin on a sharp decoration or plant in the tank? Also, is your filter baffled? Sometimes if the filter is strong enough to push the betta around it can rip his fins.

Last edited by Littlebittyfish; 07-17-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #3 
blueboy

Hi littlebittyfish,
By cycling you mean building up good bacteria right?? It was running 10days before he went in. Is that not enough time?? I have been doing 25% water changes once per week...should it be 50% as you said?
No sharp anything in the tank...silk plants...and the filter is gentle..he swims right past he intake slowly and no pull on his fins...I'm off on vacation time so I have been watching him closely....and I did put him back on meds and his mood seems better...no more advancement with fin rot...thanks!
Can't figure out how to attach pic!
Old 07-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

If he seems to be doing better with the medication I would keep up with that...for the first month the tank is running with a fish in it you will want to do 2 50% water changes weekly while the cycle is taking place.This will help keep ammonia down.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

Here is a little bit more info. on aquarium cycling:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
Old 07-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #6 
blueboy

Ok will do the 50% changes and check out your link...thanks!