Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #1 
GunsABlazin

Sponge Filters

I hear alot about useing sponge filters in spawning tanks, i was wondering if they are Needed, or can you spawn without a blubber/filter?
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #2 
Punki

I think everything turned off throughout the whole spawning process, i think once the fry are freeswimming a sponge filter would be good since you cant 100% water change with fry and the slight agitation on the water surface makes it easier for them to reach air to breath. Then again i know a few do outdoor spawning and im not sure if they have a filter at all, i plan to use a sponge filter but am curious as well
*bump*
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

You don't want or need any filtration in the spawning tank.....it varies from breeder to breeder if they use filtration in the fry grow out tank...personally, I don't use any filtration...... but I also keep lots of live active growing plants that take care of water quality...if a filter is used...sponge filter is the best choice..... but I wouldn't start it until the fry are at least 2 weeks old....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #4 
Jirothebetta

X2 exactly what I was thinking...even the gentle current a sponge filter creates is just too much for new little betta's. IMHO a well planted breeding tank with a few snails is the way to go. For one it is a dream for bettas and two it Keeps water quality good with out needing any kind of filtration, plus the little infusoria that the plants bring with them, you can't beat that
Jirothebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #5 
GunsABlazin

ok. just makeing sure. :)
also, so i dont have to post a new thread, I set up a jar with some water and hay in it for infusoria, is the cloudy water i see what im looking for?
Also how long can it sit before i need to make a new batch, is it untill i use up all of the water in the jar?
Old 07-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #6 
Jirothebetta

The cloudy water you see is the bacteria you don't want in your tank, you want to wait until the water turns clear again before you use it, might take about a week...not sure how long it can sit...If it were me I would just pour the infusoria water into the tank...but then that might not be the right idea My tank is full of infusoria already so I never had to make my own
Old 07-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #7 
GunsABlazin

Yea, i have to grow my own, we are a little short on any kind of aquarium plants here.
Ok, i will re-start one, i dotn want it to be bad, and feed it to my fry.

Also, would i get the same effect if i put grass or hay straight into my spawning tank?
P.s, we dont have any chemicals in our grass, the worst is horse manure or goat pee. lol
Old 07-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #8 
Jirothebetta

no no no, I think you misunderstood me, it is going to get cloudy at first, when it gets clear is when you use it, you just have to wait for that to happen, if its cloudy now it means you are on the right track, no need to start a new one!

And no, putting grass or hay into your tank will not work, you see how your water is cloudy, it is cloudy because the plant matter in there is rotting, the cloudiness is the hords of bacteria breaking the plant matter down, it starts getting clear again when the infusoria develope and start feeding on the bacteria, before that happens the water will be extremely toxic for any sort of fish, especially your little fry...

here is an excellent link for growing your own infusoria:

http://gillgallery.com/2011/06/13/creating-infusoria/

Last edited by Jirothebetta; 07-17-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #9 
GunsABlazin

Alright. Figured it wouldnt work the same.
My culture has been set up for about 2 weeks, i will take another look at it to see if its is clear or still foggy.
Thank you for the link.