Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #1 
FishyWishy

10 days QT but popeye remains :(

Hi guys,

Our boy Jr is still not doing well. He's lethargic, tail biting, has a weird bump on either side of his body and still has a bad popeye. Ten days ago we put him him a little gladware container and floated it in his 5 gallon tank for quarantine. We've been treating with Maracyn II and doing daily water changes with epsom salts. We thought that was supposed to reduce the "swelling" and treat the underlying problem. Today is the 10th day and we are supposed to be letting him free again, but his popeye is just as bad as it was when we started treating him. Any other ideas? We're getting desperate.

So very worried,

Jr's Mom & Dad :(
FishyWishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #2 
DarkMoon17

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. Can you fill out the sticky at the top of the disease section? Please be as descriptive as possible. A picture would really help us identify the problem as well.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #3 
FishyWishy

Sorry guys, I did this a couple of weeks ago when we first posted but have completed the sticky again. Hope it's helpful. We are at the end of our ropes trying to figure out how to help our poor little guy. :( Today was the day we were supposed to be able to set him free from his dreaded quarantine cup but his eye doesn't look any better.

Housing
What size is your tank?
5 gallon live planted mini-bow
What temperature is your tank? 78-80 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes but just charcoal filter set up that came with the tank
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Just the waterfall flow from filter
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Small olive nerite snails only

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Hikari frozen blood worms, Hikari frozen brine shrimp, Hikari frozen tubifex worms, Aqueon betta pellets, Atison's betta pellets, Omega One betta pellets, Hikari Bio-Gold betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 times a day (We feed a wide variety of high protein, small, frequent meals to help with the tail biting)

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
2X/week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon water conditioner (+ age water 2 days)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Yes

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7
Hardness: High
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Started tail biting again, developed bad popeye on one side, developed a bump on both sides of his body, almost looks like scoliosis or curved spine :(( (My camera won't focus close up enough to get a non blurry picture. I have tried taking pics many times.)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic and interacts with us less; has seem even more depressed since being confined to his tiny QT cup, but eating well
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Perhaps two weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Per recommendations from the group, he has been floating in his tank in a small Gladware quarantine container for the last 10 days, being treated with Maracyn II and epsom salts, with 100% daily water changes of the QT container, but his popeye has not gotten any better (and he still has the bumps / curvy spine)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes we have been fighting the tail biting for almost as long as we have had him. Very frustrating. Other than his ongoing neurosis he has been healthy.
How old is your fish (approximately)? We got him from PetCo a year and 2 months ago.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

How much Epsom salt are you using and if he has a curved spine that can either be nutrition related or fish TB (mycobacteriosis)....research that and see if it fits what he has, if so you need to destroy the fish and clean everything really good with diluted bleach or throw items away that have been in contact with him....don't panic or freak out...research......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #5 
DarkMoon17

As OFL said, it could be TB, which would be bad... Looking at your list of foods I couldn't imagine it being nutrition related. If you can get any pics of him that would really help. Even a blurry pic would at least give us an idea of what his bend looks like. Did it develop slowly overtime or was it sudden? Is there anything in the tank he could have gotten caught under?

Is his eye swollen or just cloudy?
Old 07-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #6 
FishyWishy

Unhappy Tb??? :((

Hi all,

We did freak out when we read this. Took us a couple of days to deal.

His eye is definitely swollen and much bigger than normal. We treated with 1 tsp epsom salts per gallon. (Pre-mixed in a big 5 gallon jug and then used for daily water change of his little QT cup for 10 days. Also treated with Maracyn II.)

The bumps / bend developed slowly over time. Does not look like an injury to me. He has a bump on both sides of his body just under his top fin. You can see it best when he turns in one direction or the other.

We have researched TB some but still don't know what he does or does not have or how to help him. We are attaching pictures, taken with a different camera. Still not perfect but hopefully they are enough that someone might be able to help.

Super upset,

Jr's Mom & Dad :((
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #7 
DarkMoon17

I don't know, it looks more like a tumor to me... TB usually involves lesions, color loss, scale loss and wasting. Is the white patch on his face part of his coloration or is it "on top of" his scales? His does have a bit of swelling in the one eye still... You can up the Epsom to 2tsp/gal. There are a number of other meds you could use but you might want to hold a sec.

OFL, any ideas on the lump? It could be scoliosis caused by a tumor which is stealing nutrients...
Old 07-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I have a really crappy computer...I can't tell anything by those pics...other than its a pretty Betta...I don't see the lump or the popeye...sorry....

Agree with Darkmoon....up the epsom salt and add some tannins to the premixed treatment water...either IAL or oak leaf.....

Is he swimming okay or normally....can you get a pic from above and from the side with the flash so it will be bright.....you want to highlight the lump and eye......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote