Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

Brackish tank questions

What is the difference in marine salt/sea salt?
Could non-iodine seasalt (the kind in little rocks) sold at the store work to make a brackish tank?

Anyone have a brackish tank setup here? I am interested in them...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Its better to use marine salt used for salt water tanks to create brackish environment...depending on the species of fish you are wanting to keep for the needed salinity level.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Its better to use marine salt used for salt water tanks to create brackish environment...depending on the species of fish you are wanting to keep for the needed salinity level.....
Thanks.
I ended up with 2 dragon gobys...I didn't buy them..They were given to me .The poor little guys were bright fire engine red with burns and the one is missing a lot of his back fin..I had no idea what they were when I seen them.. But I did a bit of research and found out they prefer brackish water....They were previously kept in freshwater so I haven't put them into brackish yet..I will do it really slowly eventually...I didn't want to shock them because they're already pretty ill... I have them both in my 10 gallon QT. right now...I know that's really tiny for them...they're only 4 1/2 inches right now...but I know they get huge..So once they're better I may get a 55 gallon...Or rehome them to a good home...I would like to have a 55 gallon brackish tank though...
I have read they don't do well in pairs when they get older though..So if I do decide to set up a 55 gallon it looks like I will have to re-home the one at least.....I posted over on the "ancient fish" side of the website but I didn't get any response yet.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like a plan....slow change to brackish and clean water....they hopefully will perk up for you....I have never kept that species so I don't know a lot about them....but from what I have read...seem like a pretty neat critter.....a lot a neat brackish species and even live plants that you could keep in a 55gal......sounds like fun.......look forward to pics......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

They really are neat! I am still trying to figure out what is best to feed them..I got them some brine shrimp.I'm going to get them some blood worms too.
They seem to be a little better...They're not bright red anymore atleast..
I don't see them much in the day..They hide in the rock caves I made for them until around 9pm ...then they go crazy.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:45 AM   #6 
copperarabian

I have one, it's in a freshwater aquarium at the moment, I named him Sanji, I plan to move him into a brackish tank at some point when I have the money and room.

Sanji loves frozen brine shrimp, I've tried algae wafers but he ignores them lol
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
I have one, it's in a freshwater aquarium at the moment, I named him Sanji, I plan to move him into a brackish tank at some point when I have the money and room.

Sanji loves frozen brine shrimp, I've tried algae wafers but he ignores them lol
haha yea ...I tried algae wafer too...they just laid there like psh.. not eating that!
I think they liked the brine shrimp though. I even gave my bettas some...
Old 07-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #8 
copperarabian

When I put the brine shrimp in my guy comes right out, they must have a good since of smell since their eye sight is so bad lol
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

My one guy peeks his head out of his rock cave just enough so I can drop the shrimp in front of his face and he can eat it..Lazy little guy..I use some long plant tweezers to get it down near his face.

I haven't seen the other guy eat yet though...I am hoping he is just eating when i'm not looking...